VRay for iMac

Hello Everyone

I’m considering using the free trial of VRay with SketchUp Pro 2022. I use an iMac desktop, please can anyone tell me if VRay is compatible with iMac. Also does VRay have a good selection of materials, eg for rendering bathroom tiles?

Thank you in advance.

Definitely compatible, with MacOS and since that runs on an iMac (whichever iMac you are using) it is compatible. With an M1 iMac you need the latest version of Sketchup AND the latest version of VRay.

VRay has a lot of materials included and a new cloud library with more stuff to download. Hunting for good assets will still occur occasionally though because there are a million+ possible surfaces you might need. :slight_smile:

Vrays learning curve felt very stiff to me. I kinda didn’t get anything decent out of the program for like years. :slight_smile: But I finally managed and we are happy campers now - though I do not quite understand what I know now that I didn’t know back in the day.

The batch renderer is awesome!

Maybe that helps.

I definitely recommend the SketchUp Campus series on V-Ray:

It’s a good walk through exercise from start to finish. Mastering it is another story, but it’s a great starting place.

3 Likes

Hello! I have a mini mac with M1, and I need Sketchup to render. Can I install V-Ray to my Sketchup? I see that the Studio version for Sketchup that includes V-Ray is only for Windows; for that reason, I will use the Pro version for Mac, and if I install V-Ray, that should work? I need to make nice renders.

I would say yes - as far as I understand it V-Ray uses CPU rendering for Mac anyway so it will take all the cores available and have a go at it. Of course a Mac Studio would be better suited as it has more cores available but the Mini will work but take longer

Thank you, napperkt! I read that Sketchup Studio is only available for Windows and if I install V-Ray for Mac, there is a problem, whatever those means: " V-Ray GPU is not officially supported on macOS.
It works only with C++/CPU devices. V-Ray GPU can still be used in distributed rendering where a macOS machine runs the CUDA engine on a CPU device together with Windows/Linux machine(s) running CUDA engine on GPU device(s)."

I am new to this program, so I will try and see if my PC is enough for the software. I saw another video that says I can upload my design and render it online. I wonder if the “walking tour” animation has to be done before or after the render. I will spend all weekend learning Sketchup.

No - I meant the Mac Studio - it looks like a Mac Mini that has eaten another Mac Mini but has a lot more power. :slight_smile: