Viewing dimensions of component

How can I select a component and see what the dimensions of that component are? Or can I?

You can add dimensions with the Dimension tool or measure it with the Tape Measure tool. There used to be a plugin that would give the dimensions of a component’s bounding box but the author withdrew it and it’s no longer available.

You could also use an extension like CutList to give you the overall dimensions. With CutList 4.1.x if you have only one component selected, it’ll give you only that component’s dimensions.

Thanks Dave. Reason for asking was in trying to change dimensions on the fly. I would up using the tape measure tool to see what I had and then push/pull to make changes.
I need to add Cutlist but there is no PlugIn menu item in 2017. Where do I get it, and How?

There won’t be an Extensions menu until you’ve installed an extension. Go to Window>Extension Warehouse and search for CutList the author is Steve R. Click Install. After it installs and loads, you should see the Extension menu.

What sort of model are you making?

Got it. And thanks once again.

1 Like

Is 4.1 for SU PRO (2018) only? Didn’t work on the component in SU Make.

No. It’s the same version it’s been for several years since the author passed away. How did you install it? What does it do when you try to run it?

I didn’t understand the output, the component I picked had 9 items in it. Tried it on another component that was a single item and figured it out.

Thanks for the tip!

It reports only the dimensions of the lowest level components.

Here is another report tool:

https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/cadman-report-tools

That is exact what I need, can somebody suggest a plugin like that?(I don’t need any complex thing like CutList, just a simple tool that indicate the component’s dimension, not his volume).

thank you!

Your profile indicates you are using the Free Plan of SketchUp which is web based and does not have any option for installing or using extensions. The only options you would have are to use the Dimension tool or the Tape Measure tool.

To elaborate, in SketchUp for web if you attach dimensions to given pieces of geometry they will update as you modify. You can assign dimensions to a separate tag to control their visibility via the tags menu.

1 Like

Yes, I know this dimension tool but I would like to see every component’s dimension (l * w * h) like in Entity Info not just its volume! I have installed Cutlist 5.1.1 but I use it only at the end of the work, I need this plugin during I draw my model. (sorry, profile has been updated.)

1 Like

The plugin I referred to doesn’t give you those dimensions in Entity Info. There isn’t any extension that will do such a thing. The extension I referred to creates a small window with the dimensions of the component’s bounding box but it only does it for one component at a time and you have to close it to be able to work on the model.

I’ve never heard of CutList 5.1.1

Why do you need this plugin while you draw your model.

Thank you! Sharing the wrong information just makes more work for those who are trying to help you.

OpenCutList L’Air du Bois- www.lairdubois.fr

Oh. That’s a different thing. Either way, It doesn’t do anything for your “need”.

yes, for that I have asked for help to get a suitable plugin, please somebody help!

Currently there isn’t a suitable plugin. Maybe you can write one.

Why do you need to see the dimensions of the components while you are modeling? Why won’t the Dimension tool do what you need?

OK, I found that plugin, if everyone need it just go to by newsposting link

1 Like