Video playing Surface

Hi all,

I am a very basic user of Sketchup, and I actually use it to create simple set and video walls to export to another app, MA3D, a lighting design software.

In order to use the imported video wall, I change the texture on it to a video.

My main problem is that instead of the wall playing a single video, it plays hundreds and thousands of tiny videos across it’s surface. Which means the 3D object I created actually has lots and lots of “zones” instead of a single one.

From what I have read, it’s related to something called UV mapping, but I am not familiar enough with Sketchup to know how to fix this.

Much thanks if someone could guide me on this.

Also, I have to export only in .3ds as MA3D only accepts that.

When you apply a ‘texture’ to a face, SketchUp creates UV map for that face. Below image explains itself.

UV mapping options are very limited in SketchUp natively (such as changing tiles, size, color etc). So i suggest you to check these plugins: SketchUV and Wrap-r. But again it’s not as good as 3ds Max or Blender can offer you about UV mapping.

I don’t know about MA3D but according to their help page, it’s done outside of their software. So try to apply a texture (not color!) to a face inside SketchUp, adjust tiling/size and see how it goes in MA3D.

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

I am currently trying out SketchUv, but struggling a little to get it to work.

Will try Wrap-r as well.

If your object is very simple (a wall), applying texture within SketchUp should be fine. Did you test doing so and import to MA3D?

Check this manual for SketchUv.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.