Upgrade to 2024

Any suggestions for the most prudent way to transfer extensions, plugins, custom materials etc. from 2023 to 2024?
That said, it seems archaic that I, as the consumer have to do all the work … just sayin🙇

TY in advance,
Dana

If you fancy doing absolutely nothing at all, and just want to stick with 2023, you don’t have to do anything at all.

Just saying.

Depending on where you chose to save your custom materials, components, styles, etc. you can either just change the paths to them in Settings or copy them to the correct locations for SketchUp 2024. Look in Settings>Files to see those paths.

As for extensions, the advised method is to install the extensions fresh from their sources. Many extensions require updates to work in the new version and some of them require proper installation to work. Some of your extensions probably haven’t been updated but likely will be soon by their authors. If you have extensions from Sketchucation, install the Sketchucation Extension Store tool first and use it to install your bundle automatically.

Or, if you like to live on the edge, just copy your extensions from the previous installation and deal with the loading errors as they occur.

1 Like

Dave,
As always Thank You!

I guess I deserve that!

1 Like

Sketchup 2024 brings new tools and api’s, there are some extensions that dont work on Skp 2024, some developers like Fredo and Curic have updated their extensions so they can run without issues, if you copy the other plugins from your 2023 folder to the 2024, some plug-ins may not work. The best practice is to install all your plug-ins from the sketchup warehouse or the sketchucation plug-ins store, you’ll have the latest version available.

I personally fancy a Version Migration Tool such as is provided by MANY other softwares, but seems like sKetchup doesn’t feel such a convenience is important to their user base and that it would be better for me to spend an hour or two tracking down all the preferences and settings I had in the last version.

Best bet is to reinstall your extensions from scratch. I know this doesn’t sound very convenient but it will probably be less of a headache in the long run.

1 Like

To add to medeek’s post:

If you are organized and use Sketchucation, many extensions can be downloaded in a matter of minutes with their tool. One advantage is the latest versions are now in Sketchup

A version migration tool could be nice however it’s actually trivial to migrate classifications, components, materials, styles, and templates. An official migration tool for extensions would likely require that all extension authors be forced to update their extensions prior to SketchUp version release. Since most authors voluntarily supply their extensions for free now, I expect they’d choose to sell them instead of giving them away since they migh have to set aside their paying work to make the updates. Or they might withdraw their extensions altogether instead of updating them like some authors already have. And then there are those extensions that have their own installers that have to be run. A migration tool would have to be able to deal with those, too.

As @RLGL points out, the Sketchucation Extension Store tool can automatically install your bundle of the extensions you got from Sketchucation (if you installed them with the Sketchucation Extension Store tool in the first place). The Extension Warehouse used to have a similar feature. It would be nice if it would come back.