Migrate extensions to 2024

Is there some simple procedure to migrate extensions from previous version or do I have to install them manually one by one again?

1 Like

Best practice is to re-install them all. It’s an opportunity to clean house and get fresh updated 24 compliant versions of your extensions. This method helps avoid crashes and incompatible ruby code problems.

However, if you’re feeling adventurous you can copy the Plugins folder from 23 and install it in the correct place for 24 then restart SketchUp. This can sometimes lead to crashing and trouble shooting as sometimes the versions are incompatible but it is possible. Depending on how many extensions you have and what they are this could work fine and save you time.

5 Likes

There really should be an easier way - in my humble opinion. I understand the value of the clean slate idea, but I would like to be able to migrate my workspace more easily - change resolution, change tools, etc.

3 Likes

The developers are aware of this concern. Because extensions come from many authors and sites, not just the EW, it will take a lot of thought to design a one-size-fits-all solution. In the meantime we’ll have to be patient.

1 Like

If you have previously installed extensions from SketchUcation [PluginStore site or ExtensionStore dialog] then you can use the ExtensionStore dialog’s ‘Bundle’ function, under Settings, to install a bundle of extensions, from say v2023 or earlier, into v2024.
This is not instantaneous because each extension’s RBZ needs to be downloaded and auto-installed, but the latest version of the SketchUcation toolset has a new streamlined process to minimize the dialog interactions during this process. The open Ruby Console gives you a report of what’s been done etc…
The most current version of each extension is installed.

EW lost this ability a while back…

This SketchUcation ‘bundle’ method ensures you have the latest versions of your current SketchUcation extensions in your newer version, but if an author has not updated to suit v2024 the the ExtensionStore dialog will prompt telling you when updates are available, and you can use it to choose to install them through your Settings button, either individually or in bulk if several are available, again requiring minimal dialog interaction - with optional reports available in the open Ruby Console…