Unselect all

@MikeWayzovski 's screen shot shows it as Command-Shift-A which is three keys to hit. I use it enough I want a single key stroke, and I chose F1 next to ESC for the proximity as well.

(Correction: I made F1 the Selection Tool and F2 Select None)

1 Like

It’s ⇧⌘A on the Mac – which I had a hard time remembering. So I went into Preferences/Shortcuts and remapped it.

1 Like

I understand, I just wanted to point out for others that there is a shortcut built in, some people don’t know that.

Roger that! :+1:

mike’s suggestion using OUTLINER I like best.

that works great! Thanks Mike!

I am aware of the “select none” command. However, it is grey. and when I use the kb shortcut, nothing happens. So I end up slicing outside the model many many times. And with a model that is a large file, this is very time consuming.
Also, there used to be a way to use “replace model” when you have a high poly 3d group. Is there a plugin for that available now? some high poly components are really showing down my model even though I close as many tags as I can during the process.

I also in an effort to speed the processing up turn off shadows. Still slow with high poly components.
Will changing my texture size speed things up too without losing resolution?

If select none is grey it’s because nothing is selected. Select none does not back out of nested context, it just effects selection. For context either the esc key if selection tool is active or click away, or the Outliner as suggested.

For an efficient modeling style keep shadows and fog off, make sure your edge style has profiles turned off (these three all take enormous computing power to calculate on the fly). Keeping textures to a reasonable size can help file size and performance but modeling in either Monochrome or Shaded (without textures) are the fastest styles.

spacebar or click away from anything

that’s what I do. But it takes sometimes 5 - 10 clicks to have nothing selected.
This happens when I need to modify a texture and have to get into several groups to open and select a text. I guess the best solution is to find a way to select a text without having to open up groups.

Create a scene showing some open space, then you can click on that scene tab to see free space then click in it as much time as you need to get back to any context.

not 100% what you’re on about, but would this plugin help…?

https://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=323&t=50233&p=543580&hilit=backout#p516874