Universal Importer plugin error when importing .stp .step files

Hello!

Trying to import an .stp file into SketchUp with the Universal Importer plugin.
When importing the geometry I’m getting the following error message:

And this is what appears in the viewport.
Could someone please help understand what it wants?
Thanks in advance!

The error is explained in the middle of the message text, on the line which begins “50% ERROR …”

Apparently, there is an issue with the format of the "uir-source.stp" file.

What application created this file?

Also, you’d get a better response if you posted this question in the extension’s main thread over at SketchUcation.com
The author is not guaranteed to read your post here, he is much more likely to spot it in his own thread at SCF…

Hello!

The Universal Importer plugin isn’t compatible enough with STEP files, but I hope to improve this situation in future versions.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply Samuel!

You’re welcome!

Hello @VahePaulman,

Universal Importer, since the version 1.2.5 released today, supports STEP files much better!
I invite you to redownload the plugin from SketchUcation and try importing your .stp file again.

3 Likes

Hey there Samuel,

Thanks for the heads up! Will definitely give it a try next time we need it.
Meanwhile, I just checked in SketchUp 2024; not sure if this has been around for a long time, as I’ve never needed it, but you can apparently import .stp files. Do you know if it’s just another variant of .stl or just a completely different file format?

Native SketchUp inclucing 24 has never been able to import STEP or by extension name .stp files (same thing). Can you show a screenshot of what you are seeing in the import options for 24?

Universal Importer has never successfully imported .stp files for me, and version 1.2.5 still fails to import with the following error.

To import .stp files I have been using the SimLab STEP Importer extension for years now. It’s a paid extension and just this year it changed to subscription based model which is never a win for us users. However, it has good tools for adjusting the detail of the tessellation and managing file size and it’s reliable.

Hey @VahePaulman
No problem, let me know if Universal Importer works for you.

Hello @endlessfix
Maybe this error occurs only on macOS :thinking: Can you please send me your .stp file in private?

They are different file formats having their own pros and cons: