STP file details

Hi,
I have problems to work whit STP file when it is uploaded in sketchup, I belive the nummber of details is making it impossible to work whit (a Robot supplier)
Any trix to make it less complicated
Johan

Did you really mean stl, not stp? If stp, how are you loading it into SketchUp (there is no built-in importer for stp)?

stl files from many sources are notorious for containing vast numbers of small or narrow triangles that make them very difficult to work with in SketchUp.

STP file not stl

The few STP files I’ve imported into SketchUp have had the same issue. And it’s like STL files in that regard. They are heavily triangulated which does tend to slow SketchUp down. You can spend some time deleting unneeded edges but you’ll probably need to do it manually. It’s likely that any cleanup type extensions will have difficulty deciding what has to be kept and what can be discarded.

In most of the cases where I was given an STP file, I found it easier to draw the object from scratch in SketchUp than to clean up the file after importing to make it usable.

Over-triangulation is a common behavior of modeling software that is focused mainly on the visual appearance of objects rather than the minimum necessary geometry. Particularly where there are curves, they break the surfaces up into myriad small triangles to minimize visible edge effects in rendering. Such large numbers of triangles make the models difficult to work with in SketchUp because its geometry database becomes unwieldy.

Ok seams that i have a lot of work,

Probably. Unless you can get a more usable file of some sort.

there is no native import of the STEP file format containing NURBS-based surfaces/solids, during an import by using the SimLab STEP importer plugin the spline based faces need to be triangulated to a facetted mesh which leads to the mentioned big data.

You might want try to export from SU to a 3D mesh format as DAE, 3DS, OBJ and do a simplification of the facetting by remeshing with the free Meshlab.

1 Like