Trying to make 120 pen holder

Yes. they would. But you can add holes in between.

unless I did a radius for each row of circles.

If I’m using the correct wordage. The outer most holes would have one radius, the next row in would have another radius. That way the spacing of the holes would be the same going around the circle

The angle between centers would be different, at least for alternating rows. You first have to decide how you want to space those holes.

going in a circle I want the holes to be 3/8" apart then the next inner radius would be 9/16" less than the first and the third row would be 9?16" less than the previous if my math is correct. The holes don’t have to be in a line from center out

could I just draw multiple circles and place the holes on those circles

It would be easier to work with the on center distance between the holes. How exact do those distances need to be?

You could.

I would just use Rotate/Copy to make radial arrays.

I’m starting to use the compass tool. I can’t remember how to draw the holes on an arc/circle. From what I have read I need to start the compass at zero and go to 360*, but how do I copy the first hole and place another 27 holes for a total of 28.

protractor

thanks
Mike

To place the copies of holes like I showed you yesterday, use the Rotate tool. Hit Ctrl (Option on Mac) to invoke the copy function, start dragging the copy around the circle, let go of the mouse and type 360, Enter, /n, Enter where n is the number of copies of the original.

OK, I’m must be missing steps. Is their a video or can you give step by step. I have the general idea.

Also, how do I make the protractor centered

thanks
Mike

See this to start: http://help.sketchup.com/en/article/3000094

I’ll make something up as soon as I get a minute.

When I showed you yesterday, I was working with the origin at the center to give me something to reference. If you’ve drawn a circle to work on, you can inference off the center of the circle or you can place crossing guidelines to identify the center.

no hurry,

Let’s see if this works. I intentionally set this one up away from the origin to show using inferencing to find the center of the larger circle.

OK, I think I have a better idea. I got the angle and couldn’t get past that. I see that in the angle your second entry is /28. I will have to try after the seahawk game. My earlier game was Minn and Tenn because of Marcus on Tenn.

thanks
Mike

I’m also setting up my komada smoker for a 3 day marinated tri-tip with homemade corn bread. I would invite you over but the cost could be expensive. And you could be late for dinner

Actually my second entry was 23. Remember I showed you that you can change your mind on the number if you immediately type a new one. So you can play with the number of holes on the fly. You don’t need to know how many you want in advance.

Enjoy the tri-tip and corn bread. It sounds excellent.

That part of the changing which I remember and also shows on your display

I still must be leaving out a step.

select the hole
rotate tool and select face of circle
angle - 360

this is where I start having problems if the other steps are correct. I can’t get the /27 to work.

edit: I finally go it

1 Like

I made the circle but should have made holes. How do I turn a circle into a hole.

Select and delete the face within the circle.

Simple way to delete all holes at once, triple click to select all, Shift Double Click on the face outside a hole to deselect the main face, and hit delete.

What Box wrote. If your base circle is not a group or component, deleting the face of the small circle will create a hole. Do this before you copy/rotate the circle and you’ll wind up with a bunch of holes.

Unfortunately I didn’t do that. It will give me more practice on the rotation and array function

plastic pen holder.skp (1.2 MB)

How do I get it to print to full size so I can use as a template