Trying to disconnect components that don't show up in cutlist

Hi everyone,
I am brand new to Sketchup Make2017. I watched a woodworking youtube tutorial or two and am designing cabinets for my garage, all out of the same material/thickness, and thought I was doing okay…

Until I installed the Cut List extension and noticed about half of my components are missing/were not calculated. I tried to make each piece of wood an individual component, and when it was an identical piece (left and right side of a drawer) I copied and pasted those.

I am stuck because when I go back into the Components window and choose the second part on my list (ply back.8 drawer combo) It shows the back of the cabinet, along with 3 shelves “glued” to it.

Is there an easy way to break these apart? I tried exploding and also the bomb extension but they are still stuck together. I can always start over but wanted to save a few hours of work by asking here first.

Thanks for any advice you can throw my way!
Ryan

garage cabinets with concrete base.skp (427.9 KB)

The first problem I see is that you haven’t actually created the sides and backs of these tall cabinets as individual components or groups. They are all loose geometry.

The cutlist extensions report the lowest level components/groups so in the case of the tall cabinet, it’s going to report the assembly of the sides and back as a line item and it’ll give the dimensions as if you were going to carve it out of a large billet of wood.

At the other end of the run, you have a bunch of loose geometry, not components or groups, for the end cabinet and the plinth. This geometry should and will be ignored buy the extension.

Double doors like this are created as a single component which means your two doors will be reported as one large door.
Screenshot - 12_12_2020 , 10_17_40 AM

1 Like

great to know, thanks for looking at it. I could’ve sworn i made each part an individual component but will probably restart from scratch. It seems as though when i Moved components to adjacent corners of another component that they merged into one big item. Who knows. I’m learning a lot even on my 5th draft of this project! Thanks again.

That would indicate that they weren’t already components. Or, a common newbie mistake is to model the first part, create the component, then open the component for editing before copying the geometry which then creates the same sort of problem. Make sure you aren’t opening components when making copies.

Starting over is probably the easiest and you will probably go through it faster.

is there an easier way to copy and paste stuff like doors that you mentioned will be cut as one piece instead of two? I’d imagine that would help cut down on the wasted material on my cut list and save me time. Is it as simple as copy and paste then rename as “door right” “door left”?

makes sense, thanks!

Instead of copy and paste, learn to use Move/Copy. Get the Move tool, hit Ctrl to activate the copy function and move the copy over. Again, don’t open the component for editing before copying.

Out of curiosity, is this for your own garage?

I would give the door component a definition name such as “Tall upper door” and then give each instance a name such as left or right if you think you really need that information. I rarely find the instance names useful for the furniture projects I model but some people like that.

Here’s the Move/Copy thing. I deleted your tall doors on the left end and made a new door component. Also notice that after making the copy for the right side, I flipped the component along its red axis to mirror the door. If you add some details later like a cutout for a pull or mortises for Euro-style hinges, later, the two doors get the details in the right place.
move copy

okay ill try that in the next draft i make.

Yep, its for my own garage. I have a few large items like a portable generator and air compressor to hide and buying off-the-shelf cabinets wouldn’t work. Have you done this before and if so do you have any advice?

I’ve designed and built a lot of casework over the years. What are you planning to use as the material for your construction?

Is the plinth something you are building? I thought I read it is concrete but I can’t see that now. Maybe a lack of caffeine hallucination. :slight_smile:

material is almost all 3/4 birch plywood. Kreg pocket holes for joinery, with a few novice things like drawer bottoms will be 1/4 birch ply sitting inside a dado.

the plinth is already there- its a concrete vapor ledge at the back wall of the garage that’s about 3" tall, so I’m foregoing cabinet toe kicks and will be flushing the doors up to the edge of the plinth. I was planning to set the cabinets on a “raft” of trex, since adjustable furniture leveling feet will screw into the bottoms and the threaded stem will poke through the base of the cabinet. Ive already checked the plinth for level, and I figure that sitting the cabinets on a raft while anchoring them to studs will give enough stability.

I thought about buying a dovetail jig for the drawer joinery but am trying to avoid buying more tools until I get good at the basics like pocket holes. For hardware I’m planning 110 degree blum overlay hinges, and with the drawers being 28.5" deep will probably go with a 24 or 26" side drawer slide since I won’t need access all the way to the rear or the drawer. And because the 28" cost quite a bit per pair.

I bought the kreg hinge/shelf pin/drawer slide jigs and am using a track saw for long cuts and mitre for the small pieces.

Sounds like you’ve got a good plan. Good on you to hold off on buying more tools, too.

The raft seems like a good idea. Getting it level will be easier and give you something to build on that you can attach things to.

thanks again for your help, I appreciate it!

1 Like