Trouble consistently creating a guideline when I want to with the tape measure tool - sketchup free

Well when I view your drags of the tape measure, I saw you drag up and not create a guideline on at least a couple of the drags.

This is one of the difficulties of teaching with gifs, if the person watching them doesn’t understand what they are seeing they are almost useless.

1 Like

I hadn’t clicked on anything to start the guides either. I was just moving the mouse.

Good point. Maybe my GIFs were a waste of time.

I am clicking on the edge right now and cannot get a guideline. If I don’t get a guideline what should I do?

Does the cursor have the guide point symbol next to it like this?
Screenshot - 1_8_2023 , 8_27_42 PM

yes it does.

It is working fine now. It seems to go and come.

It’s something in the way you’re doing it, then.

Here’s another attempt with a GIF although probably more waste of time.
guidelines again

So anytime I have the —+ on the tape measure that should tell me that I am good to go for creating a guideline? I also just dragged up a guideline that went behind the piece. If I don’t want to create a guideline but only want to measure, would I use the control key to toggle off the create a guideline function(no +sign)?

That can happen if you don’t move the cursor in the right direction.

Yes. Exactly.

Thanks I will work with this further. Probably the only way to fully show what I am experiencing would be screen sharing. Does sketchup have a support team that would share a screen with me?

thanks doug

Remote PC as with windows 10?

Goodnight Dave and Box.
Thanks for everything but it is time leave. I appreciate your trying to help me.
Doug