Trimble Scan Essential performance

I’m looking for technical info about this extension. I tried to contact the developer (via the extension warehouse page) but had no answer.

Has anyone experience with the RealWorks engine? What’s its limit, does it require more CPU or GPU?

Hi

If you’re interested,
https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/4387258511586662157

3D Modeling with Point Cloud Data
Thu, Sep 10, 2020 6:00 PM - 6:45 PM CEST
Show in My Time Zone
Hosted by Kyle Deuschle, Product Manager, Field Technology Group at Trimble

In this webinar, learn how to bring point cloud data (from drones & 3D laser scanners) into SketchUp and model with extreme accuracy using the Scan Essentials extension. Join us as we demonstrate each tool included in the extension and walk through a few different point cloud workflows.

You’ll learn:

1. How to import their point clouds into SketchUp
  2. How the new Scan Essentials for SketchUp toolbar works
  3. How to model directly onto point cloud data for accurate 3D modeling
  4. How to use inspection tools to compare your 3D model to the point cloud to check for accuracy

another link

and another link to a webinar

Point clouds in SketchUp. Trimble Scan Essentials Webinar

2 Likes

Hi @marcodileo,

Kyle Deuschle, Product Manager for Scan Essentials here. The minimum system requirements to run both RealWorks and Scan Essentials are listed as:
 Operating system: Microsoft® Windows® 7, 8.1, and 10 – 64 bit
 Processor: Minimum 2.8 GHz (Quad-Core) or higher (additional cores with Hyper-Threading
support strongly recommended)
 RAM: minimum 8GB (16GB and higher recommended)
 Graphics card: OpenGL 3.3 compatible with minimum 1GB VRAM (4GB or higher
recommended)
 3-button mouse
Other requirements:
Solid State Drive (SSD) for maximum performance (pref. 500GB+) – strongly recommended.

Let me know if this answered your question and if you have any others!

Thanks,
-KD

1 Like

Hi @kyle_de, thank you for your reply.

I tried Scan Essential and it’s just great, I have only 3 request about it:
SketchUp scene integration/2D image or Animation export, Clip box tool, and a monthly or weekly license.

Regarding my question about the RealWorks Engine: we often work with huge pointclouds projects (600+ scans).
I found out that Cyclone engine works better with these large projects because it uses more CPU and less GPU, while ReCap engine takes advantages more from GPU than from CPU and, with large pointclouds, it really sucks.
From my Scan Essential tests RealWorks uses more GPU (than CPU) too, but seems snappier than ReCap engine. Our machines meet your recommended specs, so my question is… what’s RealWorks pointcloud-size limit? Is it VRAM related?

When it comes to the point cloud size limit, there really isn’t one. We have customers using files in Scan Essentials with the number of scan stations ranging from 500-1200+. It all depends on the computer you are using and its processing power. For very large projects, we recommend more RAM to help assist the CPU and use a solid-state drive since the engine is fetching a lot of data from it. We also recommended a non integrated GPU and avoid using 4K monitors so that it does not hinder the rendering of point clouds.

Thank you for your feedback and please feel free to reach out if you have any more questions!
-KD

3 Likes

Also check this:
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/4387258511586662157

Good job Jack :smiley:

have your read my post ? :wink:

BR

1 Like

Wanna get @kyle_de nervous

2 Likes

I’ve been using Trimble Scan Essential. I am able to load point cloud models that are 1-2 GB.

I am trying to load the same survey sites with higher-density point cloud files that are 4 GB-8GB.

When I use the extension to “load” the .las file, it appears to convert it to a .rwp file… when I try to do this for the larger files, it creates either a blank 3 KB .rwp file, or SketchUp just crashes.

I am running Windows 10 in Boot Camp on Mac OS. The Mac is a 2019 16", with 8 core 2.4 GHz processor, 64 GB RAM, and an eGPU Razer Core with Sapphire AMD Radeon 5700 XT graphics card.

Why would SketchUp just crash? Is it SketchUp?? Is it the extension???

Or is it the bootcamp GPU driver that comes along when installing the bootcamp.
The normal ‘Windows’ drivers are not allowed. (I tried to run Enscape on a 2015 Mac, but it failed)
There are way’s to bypass Apple’s drivers and get the latest from AMD.

It fixed my problems with Enscape.

Use at own risk.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip @MikeWayzovski. I am working on this now. Did you download the software from AMD on the Windows Boot Camp partition, or in MacOS?

You have to download it from the AMD website, directly from Windows.
In order to install it you should follow the steps on the MacRumors forum.
Let me know how it goes…

Another one is this.
This guy tweaks official AMD drivers to let them run on Bootcamp.

1 Like

Hello,

I am Jacques from Scan Essentials.

Do you know the las version of your file? 1.2, 1.4?

I know the las file is big but could you share it?

1 Like

Hello,

I was able to pull out a lot of information here.
In the future, we want to process points clouds from 400 million points to 1 billion.
We notice that here the RAM memory is being accessed extremely, so that sometimes there are error messages from Windows. We have 192 GB of RAM in the large machines. Nevertheless, this machine crashes regularly. My question is
-How much ram do you use with the size?
-Can one set or limit ram services?
-Or are we doing something wrong?
-How did you get the problems under control?
Is there an exact contact person somewhere who can help with performance problems?

I have sent you a private message.

Regards,

Jacques

Why do you have to report when you send a private message? If it is private, please keep as private, if not, please let us know as well.

I guess it lets the general readership know that the poster is not being ignored. :wink:

I guess the general readership usually reads because they are interested in the solution. Or they just tend to be interested in all the curiosities. :wink: