Transitioning to a New Release - What's Your Strategy?

With the release of SketchUp 2017, we are again confronted with issues about migrating. I was so glad to see the new release that I jumped in with both feet. By that I mean that I not only installed 2017 Make but uninstalled 2016 Make. Turns out I was a bit too brash because I’ve now lost track of all the option changes, warehouse items, plug in tools, etc. that I used in 2016.

I mentioned this in the announcement thread. A suggestion to open a separate thread is why I am posting here. I hope it will be a place to corral (yes, I’m from Texas) issues that we face in transitioning and where those of us who are not as experienced can glean the wisdom of our more experienced friends.

TIA

Did you see this?

As you found out, you shouldn’t uninstall the previous version immediately. Multiple versions of SketchUp can remain installed.

No, Dave. I missed it.

I have looked around a bit found that all my folders for 2015 and 2016 still reside in my AppData>Roaming folders in my user file directory; so I haven’t really lost anything other than the customizations I’d made to templates and screen layout which can all be recovered.

I’ll be back bending everyone’s ears if I run into real problems.

Thanks for the transitional strategy!!! That one is tagged and bookmarked.

Check if your SU16 custom templates still exist at C:\Program Files\SketchUp\SketchUp 2016\Resources\en-US\Templates.

Note in SU17, templates are now located in the same AppData location as the plugins. In SU17 you can open the template folder from Window > Preferences > Files.