Transitioning height of wall around a curve

How do I draft a wall that is changing in grade around a curve? In the attached image, I am trying to make the wall (in blue) meet the edge of a highway embankment (on the right of the image). I tend to run into this problem often. I tried to delete out the top face (after deleting the extrusion) and weld the edges of the curve using the Weld extension. Then, I tried to bring down the corner of the lines to meet the grade but this did not work. It also did not work before I welded it. It just took a small segment down.

Is there a clean and creative way to do this? It is easy to do this when the wall is straight but not so much when it is curving around a corner from a straight segment.wallproblem

There needs to be video for this in the Learning Campus videos. A common question. Not sure what application you are using but I would use Fredo6 Curvishear and Curviloft. As to how to make it fit the embankment is a more complex design and modelling task. I

I was just playing around now and split the straight segment from the curved portion. This allowed me to transition it down the way I tried earlier, but I didn’t have any control of where it started sloping from. It somewhat does the trick, but what if it was a sinuous wall that curved back the opposite way, or if I wanted to control the slope at which it transitioned? I feel there should be an extension to handle this in an obvious way. I’ll try the ones you suggested, but I would like to see a video on this as well because this is a very common issue in landscape architecture models.

When you get beyond a simple curve the curvishear method falls down some IMO because the top of the wall side to side will not always be level. ShapeBender could help. Its drawback is you start with straight ramp and then curve it, which seems a bit backwards since you usually determine in plan beforehand exactly where your wall is. There are videos and topics on this if you search.

Let me just add this here. I remembered. You can perform curvishear on ONE curve of your wall and then use Fredo6 Joint pushpull to give the thickness. That gives a fairly level top of wall, side to side.

If I understand your question correctly, a native way to accomplish this would be to use solid tools to make a cutting form.

1 Like

ohhhh interesting!. I guess in that same way you could draw a line at the slope you want it to occur at, turn it into a shape + group + extrude, then intersect faces with the wall group. I guess the subtractive method is the answer here. Thanks!

Yes lots of ways to taylor the subtractive process. You can custom make the cutting body with any curve or collection of curves, also rotate a square cutting body in two or thee axis to get precise slopes in multiple axis simultaneously. I sometimes copy paste the cutting bodies into a separate file before using them so I have a collection of precise cutters in case I need to re-work an element again later in the process.