Ramp or slope on a curved wall

I am developing a outdoor courtyard and patio for a commercial building. I am still pretty new to sketchup, but have learned a lot from you guys in this forum. So, I am stuck with how to do this. See attached photo. Basically, I have a vertical stone wall, but you can see it is curved. I need to develop a ramp (pathway with a small planting space between the wall and the pathway. The planting area is 2 ft wide, and the pathway is 4 ft wide. I took my arc tool, and found endpoint at the bottom and the top, and than with a lot of pain, my curved turned a cyan color, which I am hoping indicates that the curve is touching the surface of the wall, as it is sloping. When I zoomed in, I found that it did not quite touch the complete surface, but I do not know how importatnt that is. Also, I assume if it did touch, I might have been able to use my push/pull tool to pull out the bottom portion, thus creating my ramp. So, if anyone has a way to develop my ramp, I would appreciate it. I left my arc highlited in blue along the wall. On the left side, the ramp also will do the same thing, but when I started all of this, it was a dwg import, so in plan view. Thanks again, I really appreciate all of your help.

Try something like this:

-Gully

Hi Gully, your curve in the end product is exactly what I am trying toachieve, and it looks nice and smooth. So how did you divided the outside and inside curves into equal segments, and than after doing that, I assume you just looked at the total height, and than divided the number of segments into the total height to get the height of each segment. I know how to divided a straight line into equal segments, but I am not sure how to, or if you can with the divide tool on a curve. Thank you so much.

I used two concentric, 24-segment circles. The radial elements simply connect corresponding endpoints.

I drew a short horizontal line at ground level, moved a copy to the height of the disk, then made an array by filling the distance between the bottom and top lines with 9 copies using the /9 operator. Then I just raised the nine radial faces to the heights of the lines in the array using inferencing.

The spacing around the curve was determined by the circle segmentation. The height of each step was transferred from the array.

After the geometry is constructed, clean up the inside of the ramp/foundation from the bottom.

-Gully

After you learned how to do it with the native tools, you can have a look at Fredo6s CurviShear (as a part of Fredo tools)…

Hi @treeguyster
you can use this tool in Curviloft plugin

Here is my finished drawing. I wish my softened lines did not show, but that is ok. I think this will give our client a very good idea of our plans for his office complex. Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.

2 Likes

Get in there and delete those internal faces in the ramp and those lines will clear up.

thanks jim, I was a little afraid to do that thinking I would be screwing up something, but went underneath, and it worked, the model looks so much better.

tg, recall the last sentence of my earlier post:

-Gully

Thank you Gully. I softened the lines, and did not delete from the bottom like you mentioned. I have to pay more attention.

Steve Wilde

Hello,
I want to ask you that how did you created that stone wall texture along side the ramp which feels so realistic.