Transfering png blueprint into sketchup

I have a few png blueprints. I need a way to transfer them into sketchup so that I can edit the walls from the blueprint directly. Does anyone know of a way to do this? Illustrator’s live trace feature wont work as it breaks a lot of the lines.

png is an image file, not a CAD model file. SketchUp can import it as an image and you can create a model by manually tracing the edges, but SketchUp is not itself an image editor.

Do you know of a program that would be able to do this?

There were some ideas discussed recently here:

1 Like

A bitmap image is not editable except pixel by pixel. It’s truly a dumb image in the sense that it has no idea what a line or curve is. It’s just a bunch of pixels that are either on or off. The idea of “edit[ing] the walls from the blueprint directly,” is completely impractical. I’m afraid your idea is one of the kind where after wasting a day or two of your time, you end up with a big mess on your hands.

If you’re really intent on trying to edit the image, you need a photo-editing program like PhotoShop or PaintShop Pro.

Generally, the best you can do with an image is to trace the outline of the floor plan, giving you a starting point from which to build a model. It is pretty important to have an independent source ofd dimensions handy so you can double check dimensions for accuracy as you work.

-Gully

For anyone that stumbles upon this in the future, I managed to make this work beautifully with a program called WinTopo. Thanks for the help everyone :slight_smile: