Today’s the day: Announcing SketchUp 2021!

Generally agree, just hope Pre Design covers Vietnam and is not USA centric… also , hopefully it is avialable to uptodate classic license holders ?

@Mark I can’t grab anything - no up/down arrow appears, only the up/down arrow for the tray

@colin I’ve tried to do what you describe but nothing works

I’m pretty sure I ran the installer as administrator…

@colin I think I’m experiencing something similar to what you describe

One model has 16 tags and I can get the Tag panel to display all 16 tags if Style, Effects and Camera are closed.

Another model has 28 tags and no amount of fiddling allows all the tags to be visible.

I can’t replicate what @DaveR seems to be able to do

In the presentation it looks like Sketchup 2021 now has ambient occlusion! Is this the case or is it photoshopped?

Photoshop

Congrat for the new SketchUp features, but what about Layout? SU team has to understand something: SketchUp modelling software has a lot of alternatives, even free open source one. But what makes SU so unique in my opinion and also the biggest reason why I still use it is LAYOUT. It’s a great software but needs A TON of improvements. I’ve been asking basic feature requests repeatedly for many many years now, and seeing today, a new yearly version without new serious features who should be in the software for long time… is very disappointing. I’m sorry for that bad comment on your new release thread, but I’m not feeling very positive about the future relationship between SketchUp and my business. I just which (like every year) that you understand my point and I can keep using SketchUp and Layout for many more years.

14 Likes

I only wanted ONE simple thing. Fix the zoom i layout so it can be used by professionals.

2 Likes

What’s the problem with the zoom on mac? I’m a professional and use LayOut every day on my MacBook pro.

Are you talking about the lag, when you zoom?

come on… it’s super laggy.

2 Likes

Yes. It drives me crazy.

I don’t understand why they can’t incorporate all of this with each update! I almost cringe at each new release because that means having to install all of the extensions AGAIN. I have to remake my custom toolbars AGAIN. I have to add my shortcuts AGAIN. This can take an hour or more. UGGGHHHHH!

7 Likes

Shortcuts should come over automatically if you install Sketchup correctly.

1 Like

The issue with extensions is that sometimes they need to be reworked for a new version of SketchUp, and until that it done by the extension author an old version may cause SU to hang or crash.

Your shortcuts should be carried forward, though.

Maybe there should be a way to force users to keep their extensions up to date to avoid the problems associated with outdated ones. As with previous releases, I expect for the next few weeks we’ll see reports of load errors and complaints of this or that extension “doesn’t work” because users copied their old extensions from a previous version instead of installing the current versions.

2 Likes

I get that, but they could all be brought over with the update, but be disabled automatically if they aren’t compatible and notified when they are updated by the author. Just a thought.

1 Like

Hello All,
I am looking forward to Sketchup 2021. Has there been an improvement on importing PDF files and dwg file with text?

Release after release I still dream for a right click and hold to Orbit…

Hi Paul, if you add a Tag Folder in SketchUp, do you see it displayed in LayOut?

Trent

@trent yes