This does not appear to be a sketch#up model!

Hi,
I have a problem with a model, just wondering if there is anyone out there has had the same or similar.
I have been working on a model have saved it a couple of times over the last couple of days, came to open it this morning and got the message, “this does not appear to be a sketchUp model!”
Running version 2019 pro.
Render with SUPodium 2.6
Saved to USB stick (Use this most of the time)
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
Mart

The common reason for this is the file becoming corrupted during save. Most often when this is reported it’s when the user is working on a file that is saved directly to a cloud location like Drop Box. I have seen a few reports of it happening with files saved to USB memory like you report. The general wisdom is to save files to an internal drive and only sync to the USB memory or cloud location.

@colin has had some limited success at partially recovering some files but it isn’t a sure thing. Might be worth asking him if he could give one a try for you.

Yes, what Dave says. Put the file online somewhere and let me know the link to the file.

Look too for a .SKB file on the USB drive, that will be a copy of the previous time you successfully saved. You can rename that file to be .SKP (would be a good idea to change the name too, so you don’t overwrite the existing SKP file), then try opening that copy of the file.

Also look in this folder, to see if there is a copy of the file there that opens ok:

%LocalAppData%\SketchUp\SketchUp 2020\SketchUp\working\SKETCHUP\RecoveredFiles