The update service has been disabled. Please contact your administrator for more information

When I choose ‘check for updates’ I get, “The update service has been disabled. Please contact your administrator for more information.”

Where is that coming from? I don’t know if there is an update, but I got those under SU and LO as well.

Position your hand ready to smack your forehead.

Window (menu) > Preferences > General (tab)
Check the “Allow checking for updates” box, under the last section labeled “Software Updates”.

Click the OK button, and re-check for updates.

Now, … smack your forehead and say “Doh!”

1 Like

Thank, you. Anyway, they should SU slap on the fingers.

Strange behavior then.
First, If it isn’t allowed there, why is the “Check web…” not greyed out? That is the correct behavior.
Also, what is that a kind of weird notification about contacting the administrator? Why not " Contact a top contributor :wink: "
Also, we don’t have a choice to do a manual check if we don’t want to have the atomically check turned on?

Also, now I get “was unable to obtain the latest version information.”

Again thank you.

Are you perhaps behind a strict firewall that would be preventing SketchUp from accessing the version servers? Or have you ever edited some of the internal settings files in the SketchUp installation? Either one of these could result in you seeing this message.

-m

Yes, I got a FW, very closed. SU does work, LO isn’t. Even with FW off I get this popup with LO.

Interesting, looks like there’s an issue with the web server that’s handling the version update requests. I’ll get someone on the web team to take a look at it.

Thanks,
Marc

2 Likes