the ∞ SketchUp Wish List

2019 Pro for Mac

If so, you should see a mark (a little white circular area with an even smaller pink cicle with a pink cross (hor/vert. lines) in it) when hovering over the group’s or component’s geometry with the ‘Move’ tool. Take notice of that spot that marks the local origin. Then when hover over that same spot you’ll see ‘Origin in group (or in component)’ popping up, ready to grab the group or component at its origin.

1 Like

Oh my god! Very cool I didn’t notice the purple square before. Thank you

Would this be something suitable? [Extension] KG-dev CADoptimus - Tag Manager - label your entities, manage your drawing

#SketchupTeam How hard would it be to add a simple version of skalp to Sketchup? It wouldn’t have to be complex: just a simple button in the layers pane that would open a dialog box that would allow one to choose the hatch that populates the section fill for that layer. Skalp is slow, full of bugs, and complicated.
This feature alone would take Sketchup to a whole new level in the world of cad. AUTODESK MIGHT EVEN GO OUT OF BUSINESS. Imagine the possibilities!

3 Likes

I would love a Setting to turn on or off dimensions/measurements.

I understand measurements for presentations are better left to be done on Layout, but during the work in process of a project I do measurements and print or export images directly from sketchup either for Clients or colleagues. Measurements pile up but they are useful for the realization of the project. When I transfer to Layout most of my measurements may be done, but they may interfere with other views. I realize I may layer them, an on/Off setting is just so much easier.

1 Like

Some tweaking on the Collada exporter would be nice to make Sketchup more seamlessly work with Blender. Specifically being able to sync scenes to cameras in Blender. Also getting the scale of the export to match would be nice. I know I’m not the first person making these requests.

hello friends and foes,

im aware that although this is stated at another place at another time and most likely by other people in yet another form somewhere else… but i dont care, because this has to be heard and since in the other location there is no response at all, maybe here the message finds some more open minded receivers…

dont get me wrong, i love sketchup… but there are some things that really need to be taken care of.

1. startup performance - the startup process should be like click… wait maximum 5 sec on a moderate pc and whoop, its there with all plugins loaded etc…

this works for harder more complex apps like c4d or blender, so why not with sketchup … its a pain in the a** for reall to wait a minute or two for an app like sketchup to be open and ready for input… especially for powerusers that work with several open instances at once…

1. performance with large files… give us a solution to have large amounts of polys in there… i have made my point on what could possible be done to achieve this in a seperate thread but this is too, imperative… even normal bim models quickly have 20+ mb and if you put in some entourage then boom 100mb are there in no time… and then suddenly sketchup sucks …

addition: moving and especially copying of large components… its a pain… :slight_smile: an improvement to the copy paste speed of large comps/groups alone would be immense plus

1. problems with very small or very large geometry… we all know the workarounds for too small and too big of geometry where we scale up and down to make stuff work again… that is not good… we need a solution where we can work on cm scale and in same file have the option to work on km

2. large scenes … performance of outliner and material browser… the outliner makes itself useless with large scenes… we all know that… same as for the material browser… when there are lots of materials with textures its very slow… maybe an option to show only stuff of the active context would help!

thats it … i could not ask for more at that point or any other point in the future because sketchup is supercool :slight_smile: and the devs of the main app and the devs of the free and paid plugins are supercool too everything is shiny and nice but for real guys, even if it does mean to rewrite the whole application :slight_smile: it should be done to fix the above problems and bring us a sketchup that is worth the while for next decade!

best, franza

I would like to be able to configure other units.

4 Likes

A lot of people have asked for this. I hope Trimble can add it soon.

I also want the two new dropdowns to have a special setting for using the square and cube of whatever length unit you use, sou you can have them all connected and change all by just changing length if that is what you prefer.

1 Like

I wish Entity Info panel be more useful. I’d like to control Faces’ and Edges’ colors trough this panel and see these settings always on this panel. It’ll make it way easier to access color settings and change them on the fly.

In addition to that, it’d be great to control edge thickness and make increment changes not so drastic so edge thickness settings are more flexible.

I know it may be not needed for engineers and architects but definitely VERY!!! helpful for graphic designers and illustrators.

4 Likes

@marakony

Very good that you bring this up.

Entity Info is by far Sketchup’s single most important panel.

The implementation details may be discussed. But Trimble’s developers giving a little more love and a lot more attention to the Entity Info panel UI details would be very valuable indeed.

In the current Entity Info panel, there are several things that are unnecessary.
In the current Entity Info panel, there are several things that are unsufficiently thought through.
In the current Entity Info panel, there are several things that are sorely and needlessly lacking.

2 Likes

And cut material would be lovely to have in Entity Info! It could be set both for groups/components and section planes, and there could be a style setting for which one to use.

1 Like

@Matheron agree, but I’d rather see something unnecessary than not to have it at all. It may be unnecessary for me and you but very important for someone else. Probably switchable components of the panel could be a good solution. I’m not UI/UX designer but here is what I mean.

the currently ‘niche’ Advanced Attributes section could include additional niche’s…

john

@marakony - the adjective “superfluous” is more suited, thank you. For example, if you select a single component, why does Sketchup’s Entity Info panel use labels like

Layer:
Instance:
Definition:
Volume:
Toggles:

…when the labels

Layer
Instance
Definition
Volume
Toggles

…work better, referring to the same thing while needing less visual clutter?

Surely, this particular user interface oversight is a trifle. After all, what’s in a colon character? Well – let us see. If there are 3 million Sketchup users who visually parse five superfluous colons, say, a hundred times weekly, that makes

:face_with_monocle: 78 000 000 000

superfluous colons per year and ticking. When multiplied by 78 000 000 000, even trifles may be of consequence.

This example highlights the lack of attention to the Entity Info panel user experience.

Most Entity Info panel issues, however, are omissions. If Trimble is interested, I shall offer a more comprehensive breakdown of how Entity Info’s usability can be improved.

I can’t believe I just used my first emoticon ever.

2 Likes