Texture editing for a dummy (In SketchUp Shop)

I use the wood color palette for my model. It has a “Wood Cherry Original” that has the texture I want, but not the color. I cannot figure out how to change the color. The video that is available says I can double click on the texture and a color palette (bunch of crayons) will appear and I can modify it. I double click and I get a dialog at the bottom that allows me to edit, but no colors options appear.

Right click on the In Model texture and choose Edit. Then at the top of the Colors panel you can select the colored pencil palette or I would use the RGB sliders instead.

Scratch that. I didn’t realize you are using SketchUp Shop. The above is for the desktop version.

The video you refer to applies to the desktop version which is different from the Web version. In the shop version you won’t have as much in the way of editing options. Select the In Model texture and click on the Edit button next to the thumbnail at the top, Then click on the thumbnail to the right of Colorize and make the adjustments in the window.

Screenshot - 7_11_2020 , 1_11_55 PM

Dave was showing the Windows version. On Mac, while you have the Edit part showing, click on the crayons icon next to the brick icon. Then you can tint the selected material.

Ha! It took me a couple of reads to catch up too. So, do what Dave said!

Is that in SketchUp Shop?

I got there in the end.

Im using a Mac with SketchUp Pro 20.1.228. When I follow your advice and open the Colors in Model palette and right click on “Wood Cherry Original” and select edit, and then select a color chart and select a color, it changes all the “Wood Cherry Orgininal” colored object in my model. What I am trying to do, it change just one of my objects to the same wood texture but different color (i.e., I want to show that I am using a piece of Oak). Then I want to be able to use that new colored texture for other piece of wood in my model.

Please correct your profile, then. It’s wrong and resulted in giving you the wrong information.

That is the expected behavior and correct for what you originally asked. If you want to create a different color for some parts of the model, you need to first create a new material.

Sorry for the misspelling , etc. Here I go again

Im using a Mac with SketchUp Pro 20.1.228. When I follow your advice and open the Colors in Model palette and right click on “Wood Cherry Original” and select edit, and then select a color chart and select a color, it changes all the “Wood Cherry Orgininal” colored objects in my model. What I am trying to do is to change just one of my objects to the same wood texture but different color (i.e., I want to show that I am using a piece of Oak in addition to Cherry). Then I want to be able to use that new colored texture for other pieces of wood in my model.

Colin: I get the window you are showing here. However, when I pick a color it changes all the pieces of wood in my model that I have painted “Wood Cherry Original” I just want it to affect one of my pieces of wood, that I want to change to an “Oak” color. Then I want to be able to use that “Oak” color on some other pieces of wood that I create for the model. I am using Pro, 20.1.228 on a Mac

To DaveR: Sorry for the confusion. I will change my profile as soon as I can figure out how to do that.

In the meantime, how do I create a new material?

One way to to paint bucket the face that is supposed to be a new color, then right-clcik on it and choose Make Unique Texture. Then edit that new texture.

Or, right-click on the original texture in the Colors palette, and choose Duplicate. Now tint that duplicate, and paint bucket fill any faces that need that tint.

Thanks, I will try that.