Text Tool Stops Working

The Text tool stops working. Here’s what happens:

1. Click the Text tool icon (“A1”)
  2. Move the cursor to a point on a component until a dark dot appears, and click
  3. Extend the arrow line to where desired, and click
  4. Enter the desired text in the box
  5. Click the mouse pointer outside the box to end that selection and text assignment

Now the problem begins
I cannot click anywhere on the same or another component since the dark dot never appears again.

The only way I’ve found to make the Text tool work again is to click on the tool icon again.

This is a serious problem. It’s aggravating and it slows down my work.

I’m running SketchUp Pro 23.1.329 64-bit in Windows 11.

Is there a solution to this problem?

It’s a known issue and the developers are working on it. Until a fix is released maybe a keyboard shortcut would be easier than restarting the tool with the mouse. Or add labels in LayOut instead.

It’s good to know that it’s a known issue. I look forward to the next software update.

Alas, using a shortcut to access the Text tool does not work. I must always click on the Text icon to re-invoke the Text tool. I don’t use Layout.

Also experiencing this. Not only does the text tool stop working, all of the tools stop working until I exit, and re-invoke the text tool and exit again.

Same issue here, which is getting worst over the past few weeks.

Any updates or solutions on this problem?

I am in the same boat. Please SketchUp developers can we have a fix for this issue? It’s one of the main tools I use to annotate my clients’ models. It slows my work down as well.

Your forum profile says you are using SketchUp 2021. If that is not correct, please correct it as it affects the answer to your question. Trimble almost never releases patches to any versions except the current one and certainly not for 2 versions prior. But even for 2023, given the time of year I suspect the developers are heavily engaged in preparing SketchUp 2024 and won’t have much time to patch 2023 right now.

I’m using SketchUp 2023 Pro, not 2021. I hope that skp 2024 is better for the text tool at least

It’s disappointing but not surprising that the conversion of the GUI to use the Qt toolkit for 2023 led to a significant number of bugs. Presumably the text tool problem is among them. Hopefully most of these will be fixed in the 2024 update.

They are reportedly just now working on doing the Qt port for the Mac version too. I have my fingers crossed that will go more smoothly now that they have some experience, but given that macOS is so different from Windows, I won’t be surprised if it is full of bugs too.

3 Likes

I am having the same issue as aforementioned, with all keyboard shortcuts.

IE keyboard shortcuts will cause the function to activate, but does not work: IE hit the “D” button for dimension, but the dimension function does not work until the dimension icon on the toolbar is found and clicked.

This used to not be an issue with Sketchup 2023, and progressively is getting worst (IE more keyboard shortcut functions are being found not to work).

Since this is the Sketchup certified forum, are there Sketchup employees or techs that can help with this issue?

Or are we just going to have to settle with “It must be a bug in the 2023 program, and you’ll need to deal with the significant loss of program efficiency (and therefore your time) due to this issue, and wait for SketchUp 2024” ??

It’s not clear from the earlier replies that the bug affected anything except the text tool, so this might be a different bug. @colin, how broad was the known bug?

How long ago did you start to notice this issue? What specific release are you now running (you can find out via Help->About SketchUp)? It would help the devs if they could determine what update triggered the problem.

I do see both problems in 2023, but not in our current internal build. I don’t think they would have been the same fix.

Thanks All.

Version 23.1.340 64-bit.

I have checked for updates every few days, and still is saying “you have most recent version”

Same issue here, and even worse now, when trying to pull an annotation for the square footage of a face it would not even show up at all. It didn’t show an arrow from the dot, my second click does seem to create a text box with the square footage, but when I click again to confirm, it disappears.

EDIT: When I’m in parallel projection, I can SOMETIMES get it to show up, but the annotations keep repeatedly disappearing, especially when trying to edit text/move tool.