Terrain help

Hello,

I’m trying to build a large terrain map using GeoLocation. I can only seem to select a region at zoom level 14. I have tried to “Add more imagery” to build a larger topo model. This works, but each time I do it they come in as separate meshes that overlap. I cannot seem to join them in order to reduce the overlapping data.

Says this on the help page: “Need to import a whole neighborhood or city, but don’t want to perform multiple imports? No problem. Zoom out a bit and easily import your large site at full resolution.”

I cannot import anything zoomed out passed level 14.
Not sure what to do…

What version of SketchUp? Please complete your profile.

What is the area you are trying to import?

Using Pro 2020.
Here’s a screen shot of 2 chunks of terrain, you can see the overlapping geometry.

Please complete your forum profile.

That overlap is normal unless you can exactly set the regions. Better overlap than gaps I guess. You could unlock the group and edit to remove the excess.

I assume there is no way to import it as one piece of geometry?

No. If you zoom out more it just takes the same area you’d get at Zoom Level 16.

The overlap at least gives you geometry to adjust, but I am not sure you’ll be able to preserve the texture correctly when you adjust the faces to fit. I don’t think there’s a simple way for this. you have to move the vertices of one to the other.

Does Rhino allow a larger area of terrain to be imported?

There are ways to import larger terrain areas but not using Geo-Location tool. If you want to ‘trim’ the overlap off, one way to do it is to trace/draw a rectangle over one of your Location Snapshots.

Then extrude it up (or down) to cover more than the difference in your terrain elevation.

Then place the extruded volume inside of your other terrain group (note you need to unlock it first). Then select select the terrain surface and choose 'intersect with model (or selection and select the extruded volume).

Lastly, select, group and delete the extra overlapping bits you don’t want.

Here it is where you can see the seams (down the center) now touch rather than overlap.

Update, a quicker way is probably to use the Drape tool inside of the Sandbox tools. I often use both methods as Drape doesn’t always work perfectly on really large or complex surfaces. Good to know both just in case :wink: