Tape measure tool/Guidelines

Hi everyone,

I’m completely new to sketchup and looking for some help.

I’m creating the inside of an apartment and need to use guidelines for the windows.

Every time I use them though the line ends up in the outside of the wall. I know I can orbit the drawing to see but I need them to be on the inside. Can’t understand what I’m doing wrong. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance

The guide may be on the outside because you started on an outside edge. Try pulling the guide by clicking on the inside wall / floor edge and as you move hit the up arrow key, and see if that works. Other than that, if you have more problems, maybe there is something in the way your model is set up (and sharing the model may be helpful then), but it looks normal in the picture.

Watch very carefully for the color of the line trailing the cursor as you move it. It should be blue if you are dragging a horizontal guideline straight up. As Peter indicates, pressing the Up arrow key will lock it in that direction.

Before you go too far with your model, take a moment to go to Window>Model Info>Units and turn off Length Snapping. That can sometimes interfere with the inferencing.

It may help the learning process if you spend some time at The Learning Center and also at the SketchUp YouTube channel

Ah got it now - thanks so much!

Ok thanks for the advice

1 Like

Good to know, I’ll have a look - thanks for that!

1 Like