Tags and Tag Folders - Here we go again

Tags and Tag Folders - Here we go again

A few days ago I posted “Tags and Tag Folders and Entity info solutions”. The post was long and complex. Sorry about that.

In the “Tag Panel” Tags and Tag Folders display in an alpha-numeric order.

In the “Entity Info” panel Tag Folders are not displayed. Tags are all jumbled together and sorted alpha-numerically. Both panels are hard to read and difficult to work with.

Inclusion of a 2 character code in Tag Folders and Tag names can provide and sort in order and organization you want.

I do commercial cabinet and fixture work. I designed a simple corner of a convenience store with a coffee counter and a food service counter to use as an example. Here is a view of the job.
Coffee counter is in the left corner. Food Service is on the right

In basic Sketchup format here is the Tags Panel
Tags Panel no sort 1

And the tags in Entity Info Popup
Entity Info No Sort

Below I rearrange the Tags Panel with a 2 character prefix code added to control Tags Panel and Entity Info Popup displays sorted to your preference. Note each folder has a tag that is a0, b0, etc that has the Tag Folder name repeated as a Tag. This displays the “Tag Folder Name” in the Entity Info Popup.

And Entity Info Popup with Folder groups displayed and tags. Both sorted to your preference.
Entity Info Panel Sorted with Folder Groups

A screenshot of the Outliner Panel

And the Sketchup Pro 2022 File
ccc new forumstart.skp (5.2 MB)

Hope this better conveys my process.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

3 Likes

Nice presentation.

I did a quick look and found that FS Countertop was grouped with Coffee Counter. I moved it to Food Service Counter. I’m guessing that was unintentional? If so, you could change and re-upload.

I don’t have a lot of time at the moment, but my first thought is: how will this display in “Generate Report”? For example, COs and FSs don’t have tags (I didn’t play with display levels much). How do you output this?

Thanks I uploaded a corrected file.

I have not been using Generate reports. The only components in this sample are the 3d text labels on the cabinets.

With the effort to organize you’re putting into the design-side, I’m wondering how you’re translating this into plans/deliverables for the installation side? I’d guess you’d be on your way to using the generate report feature… and Layout.

And components if you are using the same or similar cabinets in coffee and food service counters.

1 Like

I use Layout extensively. It works great for construction plans. As all our retail is very custom I have not found an advantage to components. If our builder would move to more CNC manufacturing, I am ready to use many component parts in a more detailed manufacturing environment.

I can picture an image of your model in Layout. That’d be perfect. But it seems like gen-reports would be a good way to drop all those names/tags in there… and/or put ‘Materials’ lists together. What is the workflow for that?

I must have an incorrect perception of the standardization of food and coffee service stations. What about Dynamic Components? It would seem that a few carcasses, doors, drawers, counters, etc. would go a long way.

Do you use AR for the installation (little ‘l’ layout)?

My work is developing casework design and configuration together with the Project Manager of the firm I contract to. Early in the design stage I provide drawings for PM to use in presentations to the customer. Those concept plans are also used to obtain bids for casework construction and manufactured stone countertops.

When the design is finalized, I prepare detailed casework specification and installation plans. The casework manufacturer prepares their own shop drawings for manufacturing to my specifications. I only provide material specifications.

In addition I prepare detailed plans for the countertop manufacturer. They use my plans directly for countertop fabrication and installation.

In addition I prepare and provide plans for installation at the job site.

No actual material quantities are obtained from my work, thus no need “generate reports”.

The casework we design is very custom to each customer and building design. Actual duplication of previous casework is almost non existent.

The “job” I presented above was very simple just to provide an example for the Tag and Entity folder example.

Below is a PDF file of a layout page of an actual coffee, bakery and sandwich counter.

1 Like

Thanks for giving the example of how you do you work. It’s interesting to get glimpses into various jobs.