Tag folders

hi there,

while starting to work with sketchup 2021 i found a few problems…

1. saving a file with tag folders for legacy/compatibility reasons back to a prior version > does not work… i mean you can open the file in older skp versions but hidden tag folders and tags cant be unhidden?!

2. when there are 2 instances of sketchup open and you copy paste stuff, the tag folders should be moved together with the contect i think?! the whole idea of the tag folders is not to have layers like m_roof m_walls etc… but a tag folder model and inside tags like roof wall etc… but when copy pasted this inforamtion is lost and the chaos is complete :confused:

3. also - what sense do tag folders have when in the dropdowns of the entity dialog and the “tag” panel the folders are not respectively shown … at least having the tag-tree and sorting there in some kind of way would be normal i think

i hope this gets fixed in the next release :slight_smile:
best, franz

1 Like

As to 1: Tag folders is a new feature of SketchUp 2021 so if you save to an older format they will be lost.

1 Like

from what I understood the grouping would be lost, the tags themselves should not be lost

with all respect for the devs and everything, if there is a feature to save for older versions, that should be compensated for… otherwise its not a feature but a bug and the option should be removed or at least a “hint” being given that tag folders are not supported when saving to older versions and hence the user should removce them…

thx

Working on a very large Master file it is very useful to be able to save a component and work on it separately. The new Tag folder ability is one of the best introductions for a long time.
However adding Tag Folders etc and generally tidying things up does not import the new Tag layout when Reloading the component into the master file. Big dissapointment.

If this is correct then it is immensely disappointing.

I’ve just spent time re-organising the tags into folders in my main model and reloading the model in the secondary files the tag folder arrangement is not importing.

:frowning_face:

Yeah, there is clearly some remaining work to do to make the hierarchical tag folder system really usable. This has been raised before, so hopefully the developers are at work on it.

But how to code for that? Some tags in your component are already present, but placed in different folders than the import. Some folders are there already, but placed in a different folder, as a subfolder. Could be a mess.

But if all tags are present in the master drawing, nicely organised into folders, then the import will just populate into the right place. So I guess the component library should not have tags folders.

Alternatively, if no tags of the import is present in the drawing, one could easily import with the tags folder.

One old autocad trick to keep the tags you always need in your template drawing: Draw a line segment with each Tag you want to keep. Group this line collection, and keep it Locked and on a special tag that is always hidden. That way Purge can’t mess with your meticulously organised tag/folder structure.

And your imported components will get their tags placed from the structure of the main drawing.

hi there,

thanks for your valueable comment.
imho though i feel that now everything should be a “workaround”, and if so, it should feel natural to do so what currently its not.

best, franz

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.