Surfaces acts weird in Sketchup, can't make intersections (dwg import)

When you create the component, do you have the ‘replace selected’ checked or not? It is at the bottom of the create component dialog…

1 Like

Hi Mike.
It is checked. Is that good?

Yeah, that is good, can you upload some components or the file?

Project.skp (607.7 KB)

Hi again
I have uploaded the project where I am experiencing the problem.
I have some days ago built the model out of components. But now when I open it, I can see that the components are in the list of components, but in the model when i click on the items, in my opinion, they dont act as components…
Hope you can see what I mean in the file:slight_smile:slight_smile:
Thank you for taking the time.

I don’t know what you did while editing the model, but whereas there are some component definitions, there are no instances of any components in the model just loose edges and faces. All of the component definitions are unused and will disappear if you purge the model.

Also you are not using layers correctly: you have a layer other than Layer0 active and almost all of your edges and faces are associated with layers other than Layer0. SketchUp’s layers don’t isolate geometry from interaction, and the way you have used them is very likely to cause confusing issues as non-visible edges and faces interact with visible ones! Potentially this could have happened if you were assigning layers to components and then exploded those components, as SketchUp’s explode operation assigns the layer of a component to the newly exploded parts (many of us consider this to be a bad design).

1 Like

but the flip side is that you can select the exploded geometry easily by unchecking all Layers but Layer0 and the one of the exploded group/component. put all geometry back on Layer0, regroup and place the group/component on the correct layer.
When drawing in SketchUp, consider everything you can built a Group/Component. So, FI if you draw a rectangle representing the (2D) face of a wall and you push/pull that up to a height, Select what you have drawn and turn it into a Group/Component. Then draw another part of what you are modeling and each time, turn it into a Group/Component. If a group get’s in the way. while drawing, you can assign that Group/Component to another layer via the entity panel and turn the visibility of for that layer. Avoid assigning the layers via the layer panel in the toolbar, because it would also turn the active layer on another layer then Layer0.

happy sketching.

Ok Mike, I see.
I will try to do that. Would you like to explain me very basic what build up workflow I should choose to have in order to have my projects working correctly from the beginning?
ALso, would you mind trying to “fix” the Project.skp? I mean, then I can see how you have arranged the components and on which layers…
Looking forward to getting the grip of this :slight_smile:

My main problem using SketchUp is still that when I reopen a project made out of components, then I can no longer edit the model as components. It acts as if everything is exploded. How come it is like that?
I need the model to keep working as components, but it doesn’t :slight_smile:

Try this file: do you see components?
Have the entity tray open and see what you select with the selection tool:cursor_select

(shortcut: spacebar)

Project_Start.skp (119.4 KB)
have made a beginning…

Hi Mike
THanks for the file. I see it now. It acts differently that in my project file. How have you set it up to do this?

@MikeWayzovski already gave you the answer to this mystery. When creating a component, be sure that ‘Replace selection with component’ is selected.

The fact that you checked later does not mean that it was checked at the time of creating these components.
By default the box is checked when pre-component’s selection has no connection to other basic geometry. (this is what you saw)
By default the box is unchecked when you select some geometry to create a component and leave some connected geometry out of the selection. (this is what you did earlier on).

If you check again, see what the check box tells you in case of the latter.

Also, the components are not exploded upon opening the model again. You just created them to be stored in the ‘In Model’ component library. And left the original basic geometry in place.

1 Like

Okay thank you Wo3Dan

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.