Subtraction - probably something dumb :-(

I was having a browse, next to see if I can ‘pinch’ in Sketchup; that is to say I would like to make the end of the object with the overhang say 1.5m narrower, but I think I am reading such a feature isn’t available? I should have laid out my flat floorplan in the tapered shaped to start with probaby! Doh.Gates.skp (459.9 KB)

Something else I am fast beginning to realise is that if I use tools that I don’t fully understand how they do what they do, there is a LOT of hassle and clean up afterwards. I used 1000Bits round corner tools to turn this square block into an oval profile and have since spent 45 minutes redrawing all the lines along the profile to make the shape solid again and STILL I haven’t found the issue :frowning: Wilson stack.skp (473.3 KB)

You face such problems because you are most likely trying to skip some initial basic steps in learning the program.
Try here first: https://learn.sketchup.com/track/sketchup-fundamentals-part-1

for your question

I think that is a fair point well made, sir! Thanks, will have a look. I was just researching the line styles as I was beginning to work out their meanings (thick lines, thin lines etc).

In my defence it’s a lot of fun learning as part of actually trying to create something you want and you get carried way - but I realise it’s a b*llache for you guys having to deal with the questions! :slight_smile:

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face:
Of course it’s nice to work on something you like, but the basics are good to learn from the beginning because they are applicable in whatever you choose to model 3D. As in the present case, the orientation of the faces

sof-05

or in the previous ones, about what is raw geometry, Groups, Components. The fact that simple geometry it’s stickiness and it is necessary to create groups to delimit elements.

Yes, I do agree! I will do better! Thanks!

1 Like

If you learn the basics and how to create objects using basic tools, it will also be easier for you then to work with plugins and understand what they do and how.

Take the steps, I will.
That said, I am kinda loathe to start over with the taper object above! :slight_smile: (WILSON STACK)

1 Like

Try first with basic tools - rectangle, arc, PushPull

protractor, Intersect Selection

and then you could try with plugin

OK, I will rebuild it taking a lead from your super awesome helpful vids - thanks!

OK rebuilt it nice and clean from your steps but I still need to find a way to make it also narrower at the lower end (by, say 10%) and add the dome shape back on top. When I scale the lower end surface and its edges using Scale, it goes wonky or the whole thing scales proportionally Gates.skp (482.6 KB) .

This is what you want to draw? (middle)
model 3D.skp (506.1 KB)

Morning Mihai! thanks for that. Well yes I need the top rounded (domed) as you have done, but also, the low end needs to become narrower to 760 wide (tapered). I’ve done a dirty plan view surface to show what I mean. Have a great day! And thanks! model 3D v2 tapered.skp (509.7 KB)

You posted the message before the file was uploaded, so it cannot be downloaded.

no link

repaired! thanks!

something like this model 3D v3 tapered.skp (509.3 KB)

Thank Mihai - yes exactly! thanks for the demo, I am going to rebuild it myself now as well!

You’re welcome!

One more thing to keep in mind (you’ve already seen in the animated Gifs):

Using Ctrl + Eraser tool you’ll Soft and Smoth edges.
With Shift + Eraser tool you’ll Hide edges.

Succes!

Thanks again Mihai for being Sketchup Yoda! I jumped onto something else, in parallel, for fun more than anything else! I was using the Shape Bender tool to create a mesh dome. I got the curve in one direction but first of all, I noticed errors occur in bending the 2D mesh I had made and I don’t know why; it was made up of identical components (squares, laid out in a sheet). I then bent that sheet. Then I also want to curve the end, next? [Engine domes.skp|attachment] (upload://5ATqq8yuQ2MMrenHQYvoiRqERjh.jpeg) Engine domes.skp (3.8 MB)

1 Like