SU Pro 2020 install question?

Hi gang, just want to install SU Pro 2020 as I am still on SU Pro 2018. Will all my plugins transfer over? Any help would be appreciated to make this go smoothly :slight_smile: Or, if any of you can stear me in the right direction like a video or something ? I am currently looking online for that! :slight_smile:
Thanks alot!!

Jay

Each major version of SketchUp installs as a separate program. Plugins and extensions won’t be transferred over. The best practice is to install the extensions fresh from their sources to make sure you have the most recent and up to date versions of them.

Use the Extension Warehouse panel in the Window menu to install extensions you got from the EW before. If you have extensions from Sketchucation, download and install the Sketchucation Plugin Store tool and use it to install extensions from there. If you used that tool with SU2018, you can use the tool to install your bundle or extensions. This only works for extensions from Sketchucation and only if you used the tool to install them before.

When you install SU2020, make sure you right click on the downloaded installer and choose Run as administrator from the context menu.

For extensions that don’t come under EW or Sketchucation plugin store tool, where you have the RBZ file, you can use Extension Manager to install those. If possible you should check if those extensions have also been updated recently.

And no need to Uninstall 2018 before installing 2020, they both work separately.

Thank you guys!!

Jay

I just downloaded SU Pro 2020 and I got all these icons on my desk top, I know they are operating files from SU that cannot be opened, but can I delete them from my desk top or should I save in a folder?

thanks guys!

Jay

They shouldn’t have shown up on your desktop at all. How did you install SketchUp 2020?

Did you perhaps override the default install location and tell it to put SketchUp on your desktop?

I just hit install?

I had to uninstall then reinstall and they showed up again?

You should right-click the installer and choose “Run As Administrator” from the popup menu. Doing it any other way (including being logged on as an Administrator) can lead to strange errors.

You should find the installer, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

Thanks guys! Where do I find the installer? Sorry guys as not real good at this kind of stuff! :slight_smile: Thank you for your patience and my dumb questions, but When 2021 comes out I will be good! :slight_smile:

Jay

The installer should be in a Downloads folder. If it isn’t, download it again and pay attention to where it does go.

Would it be this guy??

Looks like you’ve downloaded it three times. Pick one, right click on it and choose Run as administrator. If you get any options, choose Repair.

Not the one highlighted in your screenshot, the ones starting with SketchUpPro below it.

Thanks Dave I did that, so should I uninstall the other 2 SU files and then delete the administrator files on my desk top?

Thank you!

Jay

No. That’s just additional copies of the same installer. Delete the extra two. Cleanup your desktop and get rid of those files. They aren’t doing you any good.

Thank you Dave!!

Jay

1 Like