SU free crashing a lot

I’ve been trying out the latest SU Free over the weekend and while I was initially getting on with the app, I’m not anymore. I was looking at this as a trial before sinking funds in a license. But, it’s frustrating. It’s crashing every 10 minutes it seems. Or crashing at the simplest of changes on screen. The app/chrome falls over then my laptop is unusable for 30 seconds before it all comes back. It freezes, does nothing and hangs and I have to force close Chrome.

• I’m running the latest Chrome with no extensions
  • My laptop is a powerful MacBook Pro all up to date
  • I’m not running any other apps other than background apps - not tried in safe mode. I’ll do that though.
  • My design is a fairly basic layout of my back garden. 15-20MB file.
  • I’m using a few items from the warehouse

What else can I try before I give up and go elsewhere?

are you running on battery or plugged in…

what are your Energy Saving settings…

I would also instal the desktop version [free trial] and see if the model performs better…

or, if you upload the skp file others could check…

john

1. Battery
  2. See pic
  3. Installing desktop just now and I’ll see how that goes

Thanks for getting back to me.

There can be some very poor objects in the warehouse that can kill a model.

I can’t remember if it crashed before I had dropped any warehouse bits in (Small plants)

Is there anyway I can get my file out of the free web version in to the trial Pro version?

Use the folder icon, top left, Download.

Found it if anyone else is after it. I was looking on the home/projects page.

Next menu item down.

Ok what a difference so far. Desktop version is far superior. Wasted hours on the web version. It’s not really a proper release candidate from my experience.

I’ll update here if I have any issues.

For anyone looking for the file it’s in the download menu.

what’s your other graphics card?

the Automatic graphics switching will cause the symptoms you original posted…

both chrome and SU desktop will perform best with that disabled…

john

It sounds to me as if your computer isn’t really set up for running graphics intensive applications while on battery power. As John points out, you have Automatic graphics switching enabled and that can create problems for applications that depend heavily on the graphics.

Interesting. I use After Effects daily and never have any issues so I don’t think it is that.

Sigh.

1 Like

OK. After Effects uses graphics differently, though but you’re on to using Pro so it doesn’t matter anymore.

I can say that I’ve never experienced a crash with the web-based versions of SketchUp, even with large, detailed models.

what’s your other graphics card?

the Automatic graphics switching will cause the symptoms you original posted…

both chrome and SU desktop will perform best with that disabled…

john

It’s high spec MacBook Pro. Not aware of any other graphics card.

I’ve switched off automatic switching to see if that helps.

Thanks for the input BTW.

I will make a copy with no elements from the warehouse to see how that effects it.

Automatic graphics switching implies it has something to switch to…

with it turned off, and with SU running, a second card should show in the About This Mac >> System report >> Graphics/Displays section…

john