SU free crashing a lot

add Radeon Pro to your forum Profile…

that’s the one you want to be using for SU…

john

Ok cheers.

I’ve updated.

Looks like it is active within SU?

I wasn’t sure which it was defaulting to before I changed this config.

Not sure what’s up but still crashing.

Not that it helps much, but there is a difference between “hanging” (aka “freezing” = “not responding”) and “crashing” (quitting spontaneously with or without BugSplat). Hanging happens when for some reason SketchUp is stuck for a long time doing something that doesn’t let it respond to UI events.

What is the last thing you have done before SketchUp freezes? Do you have any extensions installed? A defective or heavy processing extension can take a long time to complete. If you check the Activity Monitor, is the SketchUp process saturating the CPU? Is the memory usage within reasonable limits?

I’ve moved now into the desktop app.

Yes its freezing up and the spinner comes up and the only way to get out is to force quit.

Happening every 10 mins of constant activity. A small move with something is enough for it to go. This last time I was adjusting the scale of something or moving the view.

Do you have Auto-save turned on in SketchUp Preferences → General? If so, try turning it off and see if that helps.

Auto-save will cause a momentary freeze because SketchUp can’t modify the model while it is being saved. Where are you saving your models? If it is a cloud or networked drive, connectivity issues with that destination could cause long delays, even a stuck situation depending on the detailed technical nature of the issues. Always save your models to a non-synced location on your local disk and then copy them to a remote destination later.

I’ll try these (Autosave was on and was being saved to iCloud).

That’s a good way to wind up with corrupted files.

Aside from any chance of corruption, if your Internet upload rate isn’t high it could make auto save take a while to do.

Usually though you don’t change the auto save location, and it’s going to be in the local drive.

If you downloaded the model that was also crashing Chrome, and it’s making the desktop application get stuck, can you post the model somewhere that we can try it?

Minor thing, but Radeon is spelled different to how you have it in your profile:

Graphics Card: Raedon Pro 555X (Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB)

It’s possible to copy and paste the text from the About This Mac screen. Glad I checked that, I have a new MacBook Pro and updated my own profile.

Don’t think it’s connection speed or save location.

Your Mac should run Sketchup free for web (which is actually very good once you learn it) or Make17 the last free desktop version, or Pro no problem, your computer is up to snuff. The crashes you are experiencing are not normal so take heart this should be able to be sorted out once a reason is found and you can go on to enjoy working with SketchUp.

The problem with working off a cloud drive is not necessarily the network speed (although that’s another problem if the network is spotty) but the interaction of the cloud sync and SketchUps autosave. If SketchUp and whatever sync you have running happen to try to access the file simultaneously they crash into each other each trying to do their job and often mayhem ensues. It’s a common problem we see here on the forum often resulting in crashes or corrupted files. Best practice as I understand it is to work only on a local drive, and backup that drive or folder to the cloud each night while Sketchup is idle.

Ye something is up. I moved to the desktop app, saved locally turned off auto save and the auto graphics card switch and it has crashed or stalled or hung about 15 times.

I was in Maui recently, and my friend’s download speed was 100mbps, as measured by speedtest.net. But, downloads could be as slow as 20kbps. With so many extra people at home with time on their hands, the actual download rate can be less than you would expect.

Upload currently is better, which is great if you’re posting videos. But taking an example of auto save every minute, of an 80 MB file, with an 8mbps upload speed, the next auto save would kick in before the previous auto save had finished uploading.

I should do a test, but it wouldn’t surprise me if SketchUp stops doing everything else until the auto save has finished.

It could still be the file you are working on. Can we see it, or can’t you try making a model that does not use any 3D Warehouse components?

Here is a version without any warehouse components which still made it hang/crash/bang.

SU file

Actually I did get the wood from warehouse. You may be able to see the other components within the file.

I’m not seeing any issues with crashing with your file. It behaves fine on my computer.

It could stand to have some cleanup. I purged unused stuff and reduced the file size by nearly 93%.
Screenshot - 4_5_2020 , 2_44_37 PM

It’s entirely possible that something you downloaded from the Warehouse is causing problems. This was mentioned before. The general advice for using elements from the Warehouse is to insert them into a separate file so they can be examine, cleaned, repaired, etc. before you insert them into your main project.

Another bit of best practice advice is to not leave the blue back faces visible. Reversing those faces so you only have white front faces exposed is good practice.

As an experiment to see if you get better performance. Try working with the model in Monochrome face style. Do you still see the same issues?

Just to be clear, are you running this in Make17 or in a SketchUp pro trial? Did you download the mac installer and run it to install Sketchup? I agree there is a bunch of extra unpurged stuff included in this file but it’s still not that big and is running fine on my Mac.