SU 2021 Geolocation Problem

Has anyone used Geolocation for a model? Google Earth is no longer supported and work well in the past. High resolution imagery is now provided by Digital Globe which charges per image, I attempted to “Preview” the Tile and received a message that I was out of “preview credits”. This is the first time using Digital Globe, so why am I out of credits. The end result was that I purchased the Hi-Res image image from Trimble and the image was not what I consider to be a quality image without Terrain. SU technical support was contacted and received a reply “Unfortunately we do not have a way to reset that count, currently it can only be reset by making a purchase”. The message from The SketchUp Team at Trimble Inc the also stated
We are, however, aware of the inconvenience of this system. We are planning on releasing a change in a few weeks that would change this to be three previews per session. This timeframe is subject to change depending on how pre-release testing goes.

After purchase of the image from Digital Globe, a Preview of selected Tile again returned a message You are out of preview credits. Please make a purchase to obtain more previews.

Actually it’s Google Earth that no longer supports SketchUp. This isn’t new. It happened A few years ago.

When I researched Google Earth support of Sketchup, Google stated “they (SU) decided to go another route” indicating it was SU decision to stop using Goggle Earth for Geolocation services.

What actually happened was when Google sold SketchUp to Trimble, they gave Trimble five years to sort out a different source for geo-location terrain data and imagery. Google’s terms of use for their Earth and Maps products were changed to prohibit use of that data and imagery.

Also, they dropped the use of Google Earth and switched to Google Maps while Google still owned SketchUp.

There are a few things worth knowing.

Digital Globe images are free, it’s Nearmap that charges for tiles.

My colleague did ask for any ideas at the time that you contacted us. You’re the first person to have this issue, and I didn’t have an idea at the time. But looking at your account I see one potential issue. You have used your gmail address with the Free version, and you have four subscriptions connected to your work email. There is an issue with add location at the moment where you may be asked to sign in even though you are currently signed in. If that happened to you, and you signed in with gmail having previously signed in with the work email, that could lead to some confusion. It ought to be possible for us to test that theory.

The quality of the terrain is related to the zoom level. If you imported at a 16X zoom level you would have 1/16th the level of detail that you get with 18X. The quality of the Nearmap images is down to its independent import level, which goes to 21X. You would get poor results if either of those were on lower settings.

Given that you didn’t get the chance to see a preview, I will suggest to my colleague that he starts a refund for the $8.40 that the test cost you.

For my interest, could I see the file that has the import that you did do? I can then replicate it, and see if the results I get are better, but also to check to make sure that there isn’t an issue with the exact location you chose to test.

You can click on my avatar and send a message straight to me, if you would rather not share the file publicly.

2 Likes

I purchased a his-res image and my model went berserk and I ended up loosing it. How do I get my hi-res image reimported?

Sounds like another issue. I did not have any problems with downloading the image from Nearmap (HI-res) after paying the minimum fee. I would contact support to see if they can help recover the image as there is no method that I am aware of to get the image back.

1 Like

You could send the details to customer support, here:

https://help.sketchup.com/en/contact-support/billing-question/form

If you say that SketchUp had a problem and you lost your model before you could save the imported Nearmap tiles, they hopefully will refund your $8.84.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes it is an issue. Thanks for the infor.

Thank you. I’ve sent an email. Could I recommened a new feature, I’m a programmer, there was a uuid generated that uniquely identified the purchase that was made. It is a requirement that we purchase at least 200 tiles - although I do not forsee using this particular area again anytime in the near future, I would think that the import of our purchase should be valid for any model at any time - and there should be a place where we could access that geo-import. All it would take is an array to hold the purchases assosiated with our account.

ref:_00D4081l2._5001W1lgPAd:ref

request number is 10381533

-=COPY OF YOUR CASE=-

I purchased a hi-res image and ended up loosing it during my modeling session. I had to quit and restart SketchUp and would like to reimport the image.

It’s a good idea, but even I don’t have tools to re-download tools based on the reference number. I hope that’s possible some day, but as the data belongs to Nearmap, at the moment only they have that level of access to it.

1 Like

The reference and request # was to trimble. If the data belongs to Nearmap then Trimble has the leverage to request they develop the solution to alow your cutomers to access their purchases in ways other than just that one import. That’s not kosher at all, plus Trimble is providing NearMap a huge market to sell their service into and there are plenty of other map providers out there that Trimble could be courting. I would love to know what the terms of that agreement is.

The data should belong to me since I paid for it - thenin lies the issue.

Also, there is data being imported into Sketchup, there is a packet of data coming over the wire that contains the hi-res image, surly there is a way to send it both to the machine requesting the import AND ALSO storing it to the account related to machine. I had to log in to be able to make the purchase, so there is an association for a Trimble account and the Nearmap purchase.

I have just bought 2021pro, and trying to purchase tiles on Nearmap. I keep getting this message:

High resolution imports must be completely inside the colored coverage area. Please adjust your selected region.

I have selected the biggest zoom in factor 18x, and biggest import resolution 21X…any suggestions?

What exactly is the region you’re trying to import? Where is it?

To answer Dave’s question you may want to show a screenshot of the grid you have selected. Some part of it is presumably outside of the Nearmap area.

Its in the eastern townships of Montreal Canada

Julien Geoffroy
Architecte MOAQ
514-378-2605

1620 chemin Hudon, Dunham, Quebec, Canada J0E 1M0

Julien Geoffroy
Architecte MOAQ
514-378-2605

That address has no high res coverage. The white hand in the red circle is at that location and the nearest high res coverage is northwest of there quite a ways.

The message you are getting tells you that to get hi res imagery, your selection must fall entirely within the blue colored area.