Stop snap feature?

“Static attitude?” Condescend much? Yeah, we get it. It’s a 3D model. However, we didn’t grow up in this program. Please respect the fact that we came from a 2-D world. You can’t make a 3D model unless you have a solid floor plan. That starts by working out the dimensions, often with the aid of imported graphic to trace and outline. Every 2D tool I’ve ever used allows you to turn off the ‘help’ in some way. The ask is that the ability to do that is available, versus having to zoom in/out on every time your cursor starts jumping. I get the inference system. I just don’t want it to interfere more than it infers. DXF imports are OK but they don’t come in as solid boxes. You still have to use the line tool to join the edges to connect the items. I’m certain that by the sheer volume of posts on this topic that I’m not alone. It should be just a simple setting to enable or disable.

1 Like

It’s a 3d program, spend a bit of time learning how it works rather than expecting it to work the way you want it to work.

1 Like

Sorry for that, it is not my intention to ‘sound’ superior!
For me, it is not about 2D versus 3D, my screen is still flat.
Let me rephrase:
The majority of the students with a ‘Adobe’ background prefer the ‘pan’ tool over the ‘orbit’ tool.

Agree. However, this thread is not in the Feature Request category. I suggest you search that category and add your “2 cents” to one of the numerous topic threads already asking for more control over SketchUp inferences. (Either that or some Sage might move this thread to the FR category as @simoncbevans suggested in Nov of 2016.)

1 Like

I agree. Vectoworks allows you to do this. It would be a worthy enhancement request to Sketchup

1 Like

I also agree. The inability to modify the ‘inference’ (snapping) in SketchUp (SU) can be quite frustrating when tracing. Quite. Frustrating. And yes, I am completely familiar with SketchUp as a 3D tool. I’ve been using it since it launched in 2000. That doesn’t mean that allowing some ability to quickly turn off the inferences is a bad idea or that people need ‘understand that it’s a 3D tool’. IMHO, being able to toggle inference on/off is a reasonable UX request. SU can be so frustrating I will actually trace in another app, DXF export and import into SU to avoid having to trace in SU. For certain situations that is, sometimes that route is more of a pain than just playing the ‘SketchUp Zoom Trace YoYo’ game. :wink:

I also tend to agree that this post should be in Feature Requests since that’s what this actually is.

1 Like

If I understand correctly you want to temporarily TURN OFF the Sketchup Inferencing system that snaps to nearby axes while drawing. I use Fredo’s DrawAlong plugin (Part of the FREDOTOOLS Toolset plugin) in which you can toggle the snapping to Axes function ON/ OFF by tapping on the ALT key while drawing. The plugin is free and can be downloaded from this link at Sketchucation: -

Let me know if that worked for you.

Best wishes

Macho3001

Hmm, this sounds like it’s exactly what I’m looking for. I’ve downloaded all the necessary bits to use the FredoTools but I’m wondering if there is a way to use this as a freehand drawing tools as opposed to just straight lines? To clarify, I’m looking for a way to draw freehand without the line automatically snapping to nearby guide lines. This has to be possible somehow, it is so so simple of a request…

What version of SketchUp are you using? Your profile says you are using SketchUp Free (web). FredoTools don’t work with that version.

You should be able to draw with the native Freehand tool without having the edges snapping to guidelines.

Oh yeah I am normally using the Web version on my laptop/account but at the moment I’m using a work buddies laptop that has Pro 2020. In this version the freehand tool seems to always want to snap to my guides no matter what I try.

There were improvements to the Freehand tool after 2020.

Ah I see. Good to know, thank you! Are there any extensions that I could use for what I am trying in 2020 that you know of?

What exactly are you wanting to model?

They are furniture pieces. Basically, I am doing ‘freehand’ cuts in plywood sheets with a jigsaw, and I need that to be represented in my sketchup models. If I delete all my guides I am able to draw freehand lines that don’t get jagged by trying to automatically snap to guides. However this is very inconvenient because then I lose all of the guides that I am using to help with drawing these designs. If that makes sense. For further reference, If I hold “shift” while drawing with freehand tool, it stops snapping to the guides which is exactly what I want in theory, but I’ve learned holding shift with freehand tool is actually some other function that I don’t want, and I’m not able to get the results I need.

Sounds like it’s time to look at getting your own license for SketchUp 2022.

Noted, thank you. Not an option at the moment unfortunately. If anyone has any ideas for how to make this work in 2020 Pro I would love to know! Thank you.

I don’t think you’re going to find an option for that in 2020.

Okay, thank you for your replies and information!

Have you tried turning off the guides visibility? (No need to delete them)

Can you show us an example of the shape you want to draw.

1 Like