Inferencing ON // OFF option?

This may be a sore subject for SU purest but would anyone else agree that sometimes the Inference Engine can be a pain in the ars. Please be aware that I do feel 98% of the time it is a life saver but when those 2% times do accure. Working with very small parts with guide lines and parallel lines in close proximity. Hiding a piece is not always an option if you are drawing a curve or placing an arch around it. But still need it to reference from. Or just zooming past into outer space trying to get close enough to place your point correctly. Without scaling up and down or just cursing at the dam screen.

Also not comparing SU to other CAD programs but they all simply offer Ortho and On-snap controls that are for your aid, but can be simply toggled ON or OFF. And I am sure most of you have had a situation were you yelled COME ON, DAM YOU four or five time. I have only found this option in Model Info for UNITS.

If anyone has any tips or knows anything else?? Just thought a function with a keyboard short cut to toggle back and forth maybe handy when thoughs few instances ariseā€¦

1 Like

You may be able to minimize frustration in these situations by:

1. Copying that part of your model that you want to modify. (You may need to isolate the affected geometry in a group first to ensure that only the objects you need to edit will be affected.)
  2. Save that model part (by itself) to a new SU file.
  3. Make the modifications you need to make.
  4. Paste in place back to the original model.

This procedure can be followed multiple times and is often accomplished quickly.

To further the suggestion above:

1. make the parts components.
  2. Make a copy of the component and place it off to the side of the main model.
  3. Scale up that copy
  4. Edit that enlarged copy. Any changes will be also be done in the original.

If you want to model that part in a separate file, then r-click the component and Save As. The component axis acts as a registration point. So when you r-click on the original component and choose Reload, the updated part in its own file will replace the original.

Make Camera > Previous a keyboard shortcut - great to step back from those over-zoomed moments.

1 Like

Hello and thank you for the reply. For the most part it is never really a hinder. I find leaving it in place as a component and take a copy of it off to the side. Usually does the trick nicely, especially if incorporating follow-me or intersecting w/scaling up and deleting when done. As it copies over and re-placement fumbling is avoided. Just thought it would be useful in when you are finding a concept design or calculating and rearranging. Working with raw geometry until you nail it down. I did find out you can group a single line segment. As I like using it as a sub for the tape measure tool , like I said on those times that do arise. All is good and I did find a book on Ruby for SU so with more work and blessings, in a year or-so who knows. Thanks for the time and earā€¦Peaceā€¦

1 Like

Thanks to you too, and the r-click // Save As // Reload is new info to me alsoā€¦ especially the axis part. Also seen something from a older base camp about the axis points with say door pulls or knobs. By centering or re-positioning the axis on your component when saving it. It will insert exactly into position on the door or draw face, as most are saved with the default lower left corner assignment. She was a presenter from Canada and she dealt with component(s) and their propertiesā€¦ Thanks for the replies, it is a productive day!!! ā€¦Peaceā€¦

Much of your frustration stems from having Length Snapping enabled.
Turn it OFF and then update your Template to preserve the setting.

I have thought this as well, my feature request would be slightly different:

Force snap mode - where it would only snap to inference points of existing geometry.

In this mode, you couldnā€™t scale, push/pull, or draw anything in/to null space: you must select a point on the existing geometry. The only way a ā€œfree pointā€ could be used is if a specific value is typed in using the ā€˜measurementā€™ input.

1 Like

I have wanted, for a while now, the ability to temporarily remove the various point snaps. (the inference snaps, not the length snaps, since that already exists obviouslyā€¦) This would be very helpful for detailed work when the amount of points is large and the auto-point snaps become more of a nuisance than a help.

1 Like

Unless you snap to a known location, how else will SU know where in space you are clicking?

-Gully

1 Like

?

There are multiple snap types. Halfway points, and so on.

Therefore what?
-G

Like I said. I want the ability to temporarily remove the various default point snaps (snap types) so that they donā€™t interfere with the actual points when I am trying to navigate and create lines, etc. Early on in my use of Sketchup this was a big problem for me. I was connecting to incorrect points and fudging up the model long time. Zooming way in fixed that but slowed me down a lot.

This is a common complaint from users who have migrated to SketchUp from other CAD programs in which the types of snaps can be toggled on and off. I wonā€™t preach about which way is better, but at root you are fighting the SketchUp inference engine rather than learning to live with it.

2 Likes

Actually this is pretty much the only program Iā€™ve been able to use, really. Instead of learning to ā€œlive with itā€, why canā€™t the developers make this very simple addition? I like inferences, but sometimes I donā€™t want them cluttering up the points I can click. IMO, it causes errors and/or slowdown, neither of which is desirable.

2 Likes

I am not one of the SketchUp developers, so I have no visibility into the code, but it is possible this change would require major alteration of the inference engine logic and not be as easy as you believe.

Well, you donā€™t knowā€¦ maybe the devs just donā€™t see this. There isnā€™t any other way to request features from Trimble, and Iā€™m not demanding that you be a dev, just chiming in (actually, againā€¦ asked about this many years ago, tooā€¦) on this very much missing feature (imo).

1 Like

@agamemnus
It is not likely that the developers will modify the program merely based on the suggestion of a single user. The inference system is innately integrated into the primary function of the software and most SU users ultimately learn to adapt to the resulting behavior.

You will become more frustrated if you continue to use the software without understanding how to properly employ its tools.

2 Likes

Double postā€¦

Iā€™ve used Sketchup for a long time, and I know how to properly employ its tools. And so far, it doesnā€™t seem like itā€™s ā€œa single userā€. And as a programmer, I know that this feature would be simple to implement, unless the code was a nightmare.

Edit: I see several users so far rail against me for suggesting a very simple feature addition (something that wouldnā€™t affect these users at all if they chose not to use it), assuming way too much about the code base and other things, cutting very close to personal attacks. Please, stop it.

3 Likes

Hey All play nice as I was the single user that started this post. Every reply is cool by me as I know my views are // or at times unacceptable to others and so theirs to me. I am becoming very familiar with the work arounds but at this time. I have invested only 8 months properly and (wasted 4 months) marveling at others You Tube creations. With a few complete years of ā€œhands onā€ application I may not need this option. But in tight corners with multiple guide lines I would give a dollar to turn it off for two minutes and then toggle it back on. Because it helped get me to that point and will surely be needed to continue. I see it being like ~ View>Component Edit>Hide Similar Component, you can set your own keyboard shortcut and was designed and applied to help you to progress a bit easier. Regardless of your skill level or total years of user time.
I like what the Inference Engine does for you BUT some times it is like a wifeā€¦ enough saidā€¦
Play nice and ā€¦Peaceā€¦

1 Like