Stop snap feature?

Hmmm… I must be doing it wrong, then since I don’t have any problem with it.

I’m importing something I drew, so there is zero consistency with length, angle, etc.

The ones I traced this morning are scans of pencil drawings someone else did. Consistency wasn’t high on their priority list, either. :wink:

what size is you image in SU and what are your Unit settings…

john

Size - 1504 x 1880
Units - Inches? Under Model info? Architectural, inches.

your image in SU is measured in inches, not pixels…

the bigger it is the less axis snapping will occur…

if it’s 1504" x 1880" you’ll have few inference issues…

you can always scale to size after it’s drawn…

john

I think it would work if it wasn’t try to draw ON the image. I can’t like… onion skin the image so it doesn’t interact with anything, it’s just visible?

Well I figured out a work around, if you zoom WAAAAAAAAAY in, it stops trying to snap it. I was able outline my drawing by zooming way in to set point, then out to find the next one. I only started using this today so, I’m sure I’m missing out on a better way to do this but, for now, this works.

1 Like

I am having the same issue after I installed the most recent sketchup. If there are two points very close together I cant choose which one to adhere to. I have adjusted the precision settings under window/model info/units. this has some effect but I am finding this to be a loss of functionality in the most recent build and not intuitive, especially when for some reason it does not do what you are telling it to do. the best solution I have notices is to delete whats there, use the measure tool and type in the perimeters, by this time one is pretty frustrated. Maybe this represents an improvement in the way sketchup is interpreting your model but for me it does not make things easier.

I’ve never quite understood this issue, perhaps if you attached a model showing where you have a problem I could understand it better.

actually I was able to recreate what I am speaking towards. I am not sure if this is related to what the others are talking about but I think its related. Its something like this. see attached file.

jumping line.skp (82.3 KB)

You’re set to parallel projection, and the amount you have to zoom in to see things clearly is so much that lots of things are going wrong.

You are falling foul of the tiny face limitation of sketchup.
The distance between the triangle and the guide is 0.001005" so Sketchup assumes the points are the same and moves the edge of the triangle to the new position.

Is this a recent development in the software? I have never noticed this happening until recently. Doesn’t this cause problems while modeling? like say you think you lined everything up, but there is discrepancy in the model. I feel like I am noticing this happen a lot recently, more then before. Anyways I feel like there should be some toggle for this feature.

SketchUp has always had an internal 0.001" minimum limit, (3D Point separation.)

Make a group of the gemotery you are working with, and scale up 10x or 100x. Scaled back down when finished.

Ok, Thanks for the tip! Good to know whats going on. Maybe I am running into this problem more because I am working on some smaller models for 3d printing.

This same thing is driving me so crazy. I’m trying to precisely place objects along a plane, and make a bunch of them along one surface, and I’m having to move them two or three times to get them into the right place, because the inferences are getting in my way. This is the only app I have that has no way to toggle this axis snapping on or off. I thought it was the Angle Snapping feature but no. Even if it allowed me to lock “on face in group” the way it’ll let me lock movement along an inference (an axis), that would be perfect! But no, I begin my move transform, I find a spot where it says “on face in group,” I hold down shift, sometimes it preserves it a little bit, but I can’t get it to where I want it to be without it snapping to the little blue (up/down) axis and suddenly my object is in the wrong spot and I can’t tell 'til I change camera angles. So dumb. And look at all the arguments it’s inspiring, it’s such a dumb annoying hole in the feature set that people can’t even discuss it properly.

Absolutely brilliant workaround. Thank you. For those in this discussion, perhaps a little context might help you understand why some in this discussion are pulling their hair out over this ‘feature.’ I grew up using Adobe Illustrator, actually helped with Alpha and Beta versions back in the late 80s as a Graphic Arts student back in the ol’ college days at Drexel. I have been using drawing tools since the dawn of computer illustration. Illustrator, Freehand (old school) and every other bezier-based drawing app almost ever created has had some type of “snap-to” guide feature for drawing. This is great when you have nice, neat corners but useless when you want to draw/trace something that’s not perfectly aligned. Most every app has a simple way of turning the snap-to feature off and on. The underlying issues here is that Sketchup doesn’t have the ability to turn it off. I get the whole model units things but it’s apples to oranges as to the problem with jumping cursor. The above work-around is a far easier solution for the time being. Perfect world, a simple “disable” of this ‘feature’ would make life much easier for those of us that have come to Sketchup from the graphics world.

1 Like

Well it turns out that you can toggle the inference system on or off by zooming in and out. It happens to be that there is not a ‘real’ button, but the inference system anticipates to certain behaviours/camera positions/zoom levels/hoovering etc. I frequently have discussions with students whom have a ‘Adobe’ background and I am always puzzled by the static attitude they engage whilst modelling: it is not a sheet of paper, it is a 3D-Model!
Zoom in, zoom out, orbit left, orbit right, get ‘inside’ the model!
The inference system is like a puppy dog, it will pay attention to whatever you are hoovering over, so pay attention where you put the bone.
It looks to me that the issue in this thread is that the inferencing system prevails snapping to axis instead of pixels, unless the zoom level is high enough.
Note 1: you can ‘Use Maximum texture size’ in the Preference panel (OpenGL-section)
Note 2:Those who come from the ‘Adobe’ side could export their illustrations as .dxf and import them in SketchUp, they will import as vector-based geometry, perfect for inferencing:grinning: