STL import to skp (Sketchup Pro) messed/not working

Hello Sketchup-fellows,

I would like to import an .stl file that was created using Catia V5 (I don’t have that software) using Google Sketchup Pro (Version: 19.2.222). When I’m trying to import the .stl-file, sketchup totally messes up the object, as follows:


The object should be a 120mm disk with 5mm height.

The import works with Tinkercad and the .stl-file can also be 3D-printed nicely and opened with Ultimaker cura.

Try importing it using larger units.

Thank you for the hint! I’ve tried mm, cm, m and inch. The import is always messed up. I have also tried using different .stl-files.

What exactly do you mean by “messed up”? Are you referring to all the diagonal lines?

FWIW drawing a disc of 120mm with a height of 5 can take about 25sec in SketchUp,
No need for 25K software…:smiley:

What are you doing with the other 20 seconds?

About 6 seconds.:laughing:
6sec

Thank you so much Box and MikeWayzovski, now, everybody know how to draw a circle, thank you for your time and effort, but the question is that there were (and there is) a problem importing STL files created by Catia.

Thanks for the “constructive” comment. Neither the six year old topic starter nor you provided any meaningful information. So, Box and Jack gave the best answer possible based on that.

If you share your problem in detail and give examples (stl file), we have a better chance of helping you if you want to, unless you’re just here to rant or blame.

SECTOR3_B.stl (238.9 KB)

And what it should be:

Strange .stl file. Looks like this when I import it into SketchUp with the native importer.

Universal Importer won’t import it at all. Acts like it’s importing it but there’s nothing in the model space after the import is done.

With a little monkeying around I was able to get it imported.

Simple thing to model, I probably would have modeled it from scratch in SU in about the same amount of time and I’d have a cleaner, smoother object when finished.

I wonder what it is about that .stl file that causes the issue, though.

did it for me…

Interesting. I wonder why we got different results

Even after merging coplanar faces there seems to be a fair amount of what should be unneeded triangulation. Out of curiosity I just modeled it from scratch and there’s no triangulation at all.

This kind of “text” stl file contains the coordinates of the triangles and their normal vectors. (As I see, I’m not an stl expert :grin:).

Maybe the native importer of SU is not well prepared for this…

SU makes stl files like this:

Stl has both text and binary versions. The one from SketchUp you showed is binary. The content should be the same, just encoded differently

It would be interesting to see if all text version .stl’s have the same issue in SketchUp. Or is it just this one?

I’m not sure about that.

But if I convert the file given by @Nitemare, to binary stl using https://www.meshconvert.com/
SU (including web version) import it properly.
SECTOR3_B_bin.stl (42.9 KB)

Someone needs to find another text .stl to import.

I wonder why the component origin is so far from the geometry.

I wonder if the “scientific notation” for all the numbers in the text STL has to do with it.

Ansii was close on the number formatting. Opening the file in a text editor and replacing every occurence of two spaces with a single space seems to be the ticket

The BUG is:
If a floating point number doesn’t start with a + or a - sign, the importer is interpreting the first of two sequential spaces as a ‘funky’ number. For example the line

`      vertex  5.000000e-002 -4.499722e+000  1.158000e+002

is interpreted as a point at [ 5.0, 0.05, -4.499722]

my 2 cents

Yes, that is… that works!