Stacked Fractions in Layout

Has anybody been able to figure out how to get stacked fractions in Layout like this?

Is it a function of the font or is it a software issue? I haven’t been able to find a font that does this but I have seen some CAD based software automatically stack the fractions. I’d love to be able to do it in Layout since space is tight sometimes when I’m dimensioning something small.

Thanks in advance…

That would be nice, wouldn’t it? I suspect there are some fonts out there that can create stacked fractions although I don’t know which ones specifically. They’d be special characters, though so the dimension text wouldn’t be automatic.

To save space, it might be that you could reduce the font size? I use 6 pt for the plans I do on letter size paper and they are plenty large.

1 Like

I would like to bring this discussion to light. This is somewhat of an important feature in architectural drawings and I am having a problem presenting drawings when dimensioning walls, etc. when the dimensions are in very tight spaces. It can become cluttered and hard to read.

Do you think stacked fractions would reduce the clutter? Looking at your image, I can see a few dimensions I would move and a few that I would use a leader on.

I’ve had some cases where contractors have read the string of numbers as one. I am just looking to mitigate errors without spending days moving my dims around. Should we not expect more from Trimble in regards to industry standards? They have an amazing product that could be less frictionless with some implementations.

It would be very nice to stack fractions. Looks cleaner, more professional, easier to read. I know it’s available in AutoCad. Would be a welcome feature. Is there a way in import a font that allows this? Thanks-

AutoCad does this as a trick of its own. LayOut uses standard Windows and MacOS text formatting options.
²³¹⁰⁴⁵⁶⁷⁸⁹⁄₁₂₃₀₄₅₆₇₈₉ is possible, at least in the Verdana font
This is a non-problem except in Myanmar, Liberia, and a third country.

Dave, Did you produce these stacked fractions in layout? I’m trying to obtain stacked fractions in Times new roman. Sorry to keep asking the same question, but I don’t understand why it’s possible in Auto Cad, but not in Layout. Is there no way to stack Ffractions automatically with the dimension tool in layout? thanks again.

AutoCAD isn’t using system fonts like LayOut does. I used super- and sub-script for the the numbers. It’s certainly not ideal but until such time as stacked fractions become available as a feature, it’s what there is.

TBH, with there being as much of a push as there is to going metric, I’m thinking stacked fractions might not be a thing to hold one’s breath for.

To help with the cluttered look, check dimensions that are unnecessary such as the stair dimension width to both side of a wall. Contractor only needs one. Also dimensioning to the 1/8" for framing is a really high expectation even in high end custom framing. For finished work and cabinetry that is OK, but a framer will definitely not be nailing to that tight of a dimension without some cursing.

1 Like