Some textures not exporting to OBJ model

*NOTE: Link to images - I can only post 1 link as a new user: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I have a model in Sketchup that has 2 textures applied, and I am attempting to export it to OBJ for import into Blender 2.9.

This is the original model in Sketchup:
img1

These are my export settings:
img2

Export log:
img3

Model imported into Blender:
img4

As you can see, one of the textures is not being exported.

I did some searching and found that likely causes are incorrectly flipped faces.
I ensured that this was not the case by using the ‘Orient Faces’ tool, and by visually checking each face with the monochrome face view mode.

After doing that I get the same output.

I then read that another cause can be that the textures are applied to the whole models and not to the individual faces, so I selected all relevant faces for each part of the model and applied the relevant texture.

After doing that the output is incorrect in a different way:
img5

I’ve been searching for answers for the last 2 days, and trying all sorts of solutions, but nothing has worked yet.

Any help appreciated!

Original SKP file:
TIMBER - TIMBER.skp (5.8 MB)

Saved the SKP file in the 2020 version.
Imported SKP file into Blender 2.92 (addon)

It you purge your model there’s loads of unused stuff.
There are only three materials - used for the timber, the steel-plate and the bolts.

You have not applied the timber material to the faces within the pieces of timber.
It’s applied to the ‘container’…
To see this have Entity Info open.
Select a piece of timber - it shows it to be a component-instance with the material applied to it.
Next double-click that component-instance and select one of the faces in the edit…
It shows as having the default material applied onto it.

So select the three pieces of timber and make their material ‘default’.
Next edit the components and apply the timber material to their faces.
Because the texture-material is now on a face, if you select a face and right-click > context-menu you should see Texture which allows you to perform various modifications to that material on that face - e.g. rotate it, move it etc…

1 Like

This workflow got the job done. The issue now is the size of the resulting model.

I am investigating to see where the bloat is coming from.

I am fairly new to Sketchup, though I work with mesh/geometry based software regularly. I was amazed that a simple model was so large in size.

Turns out that yes, massive amount of unused data sitting in the background. Many thanks for the purge tip.