SoapSkinBubble issue

That was a file you sent yesterday.

I know it was the file I sent yesterday! I was working in SU2021 which you claim you are using. I’ve just uploaded the file again but saved as a 2020 file.

I think we’re not understanding each other

It let me open the file from yesterday (my screenshot just now) with that warning.

Clearly!

Recap:

I’ve proven several times that Soap Skin Bubble works in SketchUp 2021 using your file after I fixed your bad geometry.

Yesterday I gave you the SketchUp file with the fixed geometry and a SSB-generated surface for you to work on.

You told me it crashed on your computer.

Today you told me that you couldn’t open the file I gave you yesterday.

I saved it back to SU2020 which you should be able to open with SU2020 or 2021.

And now you say it opens the file from yesterday after all.

I never said that…
It did let me open it, just with a warning.

I haven’t opened that specific file as the first one opened fine. I didn’t really heed the warning of “newer version” .

Although upon further inspection,

Strange indeed.
:thinking:

As I wrote an hour ago.

And what happens today when you try to manipulate the SSB surface in the file I shared with you?

The screenshot you posted with the error message was from an older SketchUp version than 2021. Version 2021 has the version number in the window header. I would guess that when you open files by double-clicking in a folder window, your computer tries to open the file in, say, version 8 or 2017. Your Windows file association probably points to the older version than 2021. The installer has replaced all the icons so they all look the same.

That was 2021. 100%.

As you can see in the top, Untitled - SketchUp Pro 2021 (25 days left in TRIAL)

It freezes. I’ll record the whole process now.

This was clearly recorded in SU '21 (you can see at the top of my screen)
Not sure what the Read-Only error was about (I didn’t get that the first time I tried) but the whole process was exactly the same.

Recording it won’t really help. It doesn’t freeze on my end. There’s a very short delay before the geometry changes but it clearly does. Since that doesn’t seem to be happening on your end, you need to look at what is different. Same version of SketchUp, same extension. Figure out what is different.

OK.
Thanks for being awake at 6.40am helping me lol :laughing:

Typically that happens when you already have a copy of the file open in another SketchUp session.

Are you clicking in to select the surface group that was created by SSB? It’s inside the group you made for the grass in the first place.

I thought you were going to clean up your Plugins folder to get rid of all those loading errors.

I do want to, I’m just really reluctant to.

Yeah

Sorry I’ve got to go! Gonna miss my bus :grimacing:

I was referring to this post:

Interestingly, the SketchUp version doesn’t appear if there’s an active warning message during start up. Here I induced the Read only message.
Screenshot - 5_6_2021 , 7_45_34 AM

The file name and version only show once the file is opened.

I guess the blue logo could be the clue at this stage that it’s 2021. (Next year that won’t be as useful a clue, though.) Here is the same thing in SU2020.
Screenshot - 5_6_2021 , 7_47_22 AM