So is that it - no more SketchUp for me?

Does that mean if they have 3.3 they are good to go??

So was this at the time I bought it. The point is they can’t be removed and replaced like you can with a desktop system. With a desktop, even integrated graphics can be overridden simply by plugging in a card. With a laptop, most of the time, even on the high end systems, the GPU is soldered to the main-board. The Dell Precision is unusual in offering a replaceable graphics card, but you still have to remove about 60 screws, the fans, optical drive, WiFi card, hard drive, keyboard, palm rest, trackpad, main CPU heat sink and fan assembly, and finally you get to the card! Hardly an easily upgrade.

I have never said nor meant this but replied to your:

which is simply wrong.

The older version of SU are fine. Time marching on and of course the latest version of SU is notable better than the previous versions.

Because of time/paying delays in upgrading my XP system, I needed to sit out the upgrade to SU15 until I assembled my latest computer. This reality happens and most people recognize this.

But when it comes to the time to upgrade/purchase a new computer, come back to this forum and look up @sketch3d_de posted system recommendations. He’s a German SU reseller who keeps up with hardware that best runs this and other software. His recommendations should get you though several years of SU upgrades. For whats it’s worth, I followed his recommendations at the time I purchased hardware for my latest desktop computer and will continue doing so.

2 Likes

No, I maintain that anything requiring dismantling most of the laptop, including heat sinks (which will then need proper cleaning and replacing paste) to upgrade, isn’t really an upgrade option than anyone except hardcore users with previous experience would attempt. Whether the GPU is part of the CPU or not, or whether it has shared memory or dedicated memory, integrated graphics systems are really the most sensible option for portable computing. That is why even most of the laptops you listed still have graphics integrated onto the mainboard (soldered) and do not use replaceable cards (slotted/socketed). Most laptops using the NVidia Quadro etc. still have the chip soldered to the board - that is integrated, not replaceable. I’m not even sure you could replace it with surface mount soldering - chips are rarely directly pin compatible.

I don’t get this “shooting the messenger” thing. Review the software requirements with the understanding the requirements will tighten up over time and plan accordingly.

Intel GPU are now included with the CPU. Great, saves space. BUT Intel develops such integrated graphics drivers to best fit that use where the GPU and CPU share the same pathway (bus) to the MB RAM.

Dedicated GPUs have its own dedicated RAM which is up to 300x faster at processing the graphics stuff. No shared bus to the MB RAM. The drivers for such hardware is developed accordingly. This takes more power - battery power in the case of laptops. Laptop users of such systems can control which card to use to best fit their computer usage. This extra control and abilities is especially required by SUppers working on large models. And, around here and customers of @sketch3d_de, those are demanding Pro users with employers who baulk at upgrading(spending on) anything.

Before it’s time to replace current hardware that cannot run the latest version of SU, come back to this forum for suggestion on laptop components to best process SU. That should get you through several years of SU upgrades - ideally the lifespan of your next machine.

1 Like

you shouldn’t claim things you obviously have no clue of:

Integrated Graphics Processor (IGP) vs. Dedicated Graphics Card

Integrated graphics, shared graphics solutions, integrated graphics processors (IGP) … utilize a portion of a computer’s system RAM rather than dedicated graphics memory. IGPs can be integrated onto the motherboard as part of the chipset, or on the same die with the CPU (like … Intel HD Graphics). … They are less costly to implement than dedicated graphics processing, but tend to be less capable. … modern integrated graphics processors … are more than capable of handling 2D graphics or low stress 3D graphics.

> A dedicated GPU is not necessarily removable... The term "dedicated" refers to the fact that dedicated graphics cards have RAM that is dedicated to the card's use, not to the fact that most dedicated GPUs are removable. Further, this RAM is usually specially selected for the expected serial workload of the graphics card...

Yes, I had the same problem with a Dell Vostro 3550. I had to download the SU2016 version again and start from scratch…grrrrrr!

What do you mean by start from scratch?

SU was installed under Wine in Ubuntu. The installation of su2017 required
some updates before I realised it was never going to work because of the
graphics requirements, hence I had to reinstall Wine with a bundle of other
dependencies.

Ergo: I had to start from scratch.

If your latest s/w required current graphics stuff you should have said!

The requirements are spelled out quite clearly:

OpenGL v3.0 was released at 11.08.2008.

The recent OGL version is 4.5.

2 Likes

I had the same problem (I have a Mac). My solution: install Sketchup 2017 in a different folder than the one of applications.

Quite clearly ? then why was the update proposed by Sketchup itself in the first place if its system was not compatible ?? The Sketchup updater is stupid.

the update checker does obviously check for new versions only and is not a full blown system diagnostics and compatibility checker of course… for this purpose the system requirements page accessible before every purchase as well as the new CheckUp tool do exist.

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.