Slow save and App not responding

I am running Sketchup Make (2017) Desktop…
Win 10 Home (New PC)
I have two problems.

1. I get ’ Not responding’ errors
  2. The model seems slow to start or save.

Help
Skip…

It’s a fairly big model for SU, and I found it took about 25 sec to open in SU2019 on a 4-1/2 year old mid spec iMac. Seems reasonable to me for the size of model, and edge, face and component instances count.

When I Zoom extents, with all layers turned on, the whole model stayed in the left hand side of the screen, and I couldn’t select anything in the right side. So some stray geometry somewhere, at some distance from the origin.

So I did a window select round the model, and cut it to the clipboard. After doing that, Select All found two stray edges. I deleted the selection, and the model now zooms to fill the model window.

I had wondered if you had any text that had got detached from the object it was linked to, but I don’t think there is any of that.

I tried both Window/Model Info/Statistics [Fix problems] (there weren’t any) and Purge unused. That didn’t seem to do anything much or at all.

So nothing obviously wrong with the model.

How long does it take being “slow to start or save?”

Can you identify any triggers that cause the ‘not responding’ errors?

I don’t see anything particularly slow here, nor have I had any ‘not responding’ errors.

Components open quickly for editing, and selection is virtually instant.

LOVE the size and equipment in your workshop! 30ft x 23ft is luxury - mine’s only about 14ft x 10ft outside.

There’s a pillar drill and bench located in a doorway, partly embedded in the wall, but that may be on a layer that should be turned off, or or isn’t yet in its proper position.

If your original is still slow and/or ‘not responding’ try a window select round the parts of the model you want to keep (with all relevant layers turned on), copy the selection, and paste it into a new model started with an appropriate template.

Initially the file produced the message
2020-07-16_17-25-02 . It opened after the repair.
I noticed the craftsman toolbox is poorly drawn, multiple faces. Also there appeared to be a duplicate of the drill press cabinet.
Purging resulted in
2020-07-16_17-26-14 . This will make it open faster.

It’s a fairly big model for SU,

Surprised at this answer. I thought this was a small model. How do people work large models. I still have walkways, roofing, and landscape to complete.

I found the spare drill bench. It was located in a component I downloaded.

It can take 15-20 seconds to save.

Thanks for the assistance…

Got a challenge. I can move the tool wall with the move command. There will be storage behind the wall. I would like to put tools on the wall and then be able to move the wall and tools they contain at the same time…

Skip…

I started the shop almost 20 years ago in preparation for retirement…

RLGL,

A while back, I did see a couple problems. It appears 2017 Make will not fix them… My mentor used his 202 version and fixed them.

Where is the purge function located.

Skip…

Window>Model Info>Statistics. Click Purge Unused.

The file is a big one.

Like Dave found, Purge Unused eliminated a bunch of stuff. I purged more tags/layers because I first fixed the incorrect use.
Screenshot - 7_16_2020 , 8_02_13 PM

FWIW, purging unused will reduce the file size by slightly more than half. You should also correct incorrect layer usage.

Screenshot - 7_16_2020 , 8_01_48 PM

I have CleanUp3 running. Looks like it has a while to go.

You will likely find better performance if you turn off textures while you work. Set the face style to Monochrome to reduce the load on your graphics card.

then go to
2020-07-16_19-55-35

CleanUp 3 got rid of the following:
Screenshot - 7_16_2020 , 8_17_35 PM

I unlocked the locked objects and ran CleanUp3 again.
Screenshot - 7_16_2020 , 8_30_51 PM

Then I ran Purge Unused again.
Screenshot - 7_16_2020 , 8_31_13 PM

That reduced the file size by another 3Mb so down about 52.6% from your original.

After cleaning up and reducing the file size, you could choose a fast style–one with a green clock symbol in the lower right of the thumbnail Here’s the difference between the style you were using and the Shaded style from the Default style set.

performance

By the way, it would be a good idea to correct reversed faces in the model.

I tried to install Cleanup3… Received an error saying TT_Lib2 not installed. When I attempted to install TT_lib2 I received an error saying it was not compatible with either my operating system or software.

Skip…

| DaveR SketchUp Sage
July 17 |

• | - |

CleanUp 3 got rid of the following:
Screenshot - 7_16_2020 , 8_17_35 PM

I unlocked the locked objects and ran CleanUp3 again.
Screenshot - 7_16_2020 , 8_30_51 PM

Then I ran Purge Unused again.
Screenshot - 7_16_2020 , 8_31_13 PM

That reduced the file size by another 3Mb so down about 52.6% from your original.

That’s odd. Did you install using the Extension Warehouse interface?

Try shutting down SketchUp and then restart it.