SKU Pro 2018 - no gmail sign in?!? No warning?

That’d be good. At least it would miss fewer people.

So yet another overpowering pop up is the answer, nobody’s going to be annoyed and ignore that once they have worked out how to avoid it.

I like that one even better. Specific to each version, with interaction that forces a play from the user to either do something about the issue of ignore it.

on the welcome screen…I disabled it only because it never seemed to me to change. Would a user interaction panel be better? Similar to an “user profile” page on the forums? Instead of placing all the account info in the preferences (apple user here), couldn’t there be a profile icon out on the Sketchup main top bar that not only has all the software details but also user profile and then Trimble/Sketchup updates and interactions. This would allow for version specific updates and communications that would show up with a mark on the UI that makes me interact with it.

Not sure if that’s possible with stand alone licenses, but seems like it would work for subscriptions.

Well, you’re still on SU2018. It changed for 2019+, and has been revamped.
It’s main page is now a open choice panel having lists of templates and recent files.
Another page is license management, and another has icons (that lead to these forums, the Learning Campus, and the YouTube SketchUp Videos.)

So the little webpanel with the dynamic informational webpage went bye-bye.
But there is still plenty of space in the left nav column for more panel links (say 6 …8 at least.)

Kinda like the new user button ?

:wink:

It has a drop down menu with signin/out item and a manage license item (currently.)

Yeah, exactly like that…That little green check mark could go to a a red one or similar to alert the user to the an issue like we are discussing.

1 Like

Update…really struggling with this whole SKU 2018 login thing.

I’m a pro user of SKU 2018 and have an account and a license. I use the software every day. But when I go into the warehouses for plugin’s or models I am never logged in. I have had the gmail address set up for years. This change to Trimble login has totally screwed me over and I’m frustrated! Went to go find a model a 30 minutes ago and I’m not logged in AGAIN. It asks me to use my Trimble login AGAIN. I use the Trimble login creds I setup up before and it doesn’t work. “Your password is wrong” What? I use a password manager and it saved it the first time I did this. I try a password for a personal account I have. Nothing. Now I have one login left and if that’s not right I’m shut out. “Do you want to change your password?” I roll my eyes…AGAIN?! I have no choice so I do it. Runs me through that whole process and I put in a NEW password and this time it says, “Error, password does not match code.” What CODE!?!

What is happening here? All I need is to fluidly download a model to add to a project I’m working on. Why is this so hard. We talk to machines on Mars don’t we? Is this a concerted effort to get me to upgrade? Anybody with a cool head know how to talk me down off this ledge?

Until recently it was possible to sign in using your Google ID, but Google were going to turn off that ability. The SketchUp 2019.3 update worked around that by having the sign in steps be in your default web browser, instead of inside SketchUp. That sorted things out for 2019.3 or later, you can still use your Google ID to sign in.

For earlier versions there wasn’t an easy way to add the 2019.3 features, but fortunately the sign in screen is actually a remote web page, and so it was possible to give 2017 and 2018 users a way to still sign in, but it would have to be with a Trimble ID (because Google did go ahead and turn off the feature that allowed sign in with Google from inside an application). The way it is presented is slightly confusing, in that the first time you have to use it you may not have a Trimble ID. The way it works, which is the same with any Trimble sign in, is that you click on the Continue to Trimble Sign-In button, then put in your usual Google ID email address, and if it says no such user, you add details to create a Trimble ID that uses the same Google ID email address. There is an email confirmation link you have to click on, but after that you can sign in with your new Trimble ID.

If your email is recognized as a Trimble ID, but you don’t remember ever having set that up, or if you have forgotten the password, you can use the Forgot Password option to reset that password.

The password needed is not your Google ID password, it would be the password you chose the first time you used your Google ID email address to set up a Trimble ID. The Trimble ID password rules are tougher than the ones for Google, you’re unlikely to be able to use the same password. Doing a reset of a Trimble ID password doesn’t change your Google ID password, and changing the Google one doesn’t change the Trimble one. You will have to remember both passwords.

If all of that is too much you can get models from the 3D Warehouse without signing in at all. Open the Components panel and search for what you want. When you see something you like, click on its thumbnail, and the model will immediately download into your scene. Don’t click on the text description or title for the model, that would open the 3D Warehouse window, and you would have to sign in.

thanks colin. Finally got it to work. The Trimble login panel was all tripped out because of my old passwords. I just decided to start over and act like I had never done anything before. I created a new account and made a new password and it finally let me in. If I have another fit with it I might bleed out through my eyes, but until then…I’m in.
Thanks for the thorough explanation.

One thing to think about, if you have downloaded any extensions in the past you would want to be using that email address, at least if you need to reinstall paid extensions.

For sure…that’s why I was so bugged out by it. I want to keep all my extensions in the same account. this problem came into my vision exactly because i was logged out and my extensions weren’t updating and I couldn’t figure out why. If you see the top post and some below with Dave R, this was the thing that made no sense. To just have things change with no warning and now the software isn’t working made no sense…messed up my system for a whole morning trying to figure out why it wasn’t working. Here again today have spent another 2 hours trying to fix it. Communication could have been so much better on the front end for SKU 2017/18 users.

This topic was automatically closed after 186 days. New replies are no longer allowed.