Sketchy hand drawn material

Anyone know how the sketchy materials that ship with sketchup, were created? Who created them? I remember is was someone back in 2003, 4, 5(?) or so. I need to make my own. He had a short tutorial. I’ve been searching the internet for hours, can’t find it. Many thanks if have the info.

I don’t know about those sketchy materials. But creating your own is rather easy. It’s getting them to be seamless that takes some practice.

You can draw your own materials even in a simple program like Paint.
Open it and make the drawing field as small (pixel wise) as possible. A simple pattern with just one or two straight lines from one side to the other can be very small to be seamless. Line weight also determines the size of your initial drawing area in paint. For the pattern will be repeated in SketchUp later. Larger drawing size results in thinner lines in SketchUp with the same texture scale. But then the texture leads to larger file size.

When done with drawing your pattern in Paint, save the drawn pattern as *.png or *.jpg. This can then be imported as texture or as image in SketchUp (images can be exploded to become texture).

If the pattern needs some transparant areas then you need a more advanced image editing program to save images with transparency (example: Fence textures in SketchUp). There are plenty of these programs, like PhotoShop.

IIRC…

In Style Builder… File > Generate Template
You can print the template on paper > Draw your lines by hand > Scan the template
Then in Style Builder… File > Load Template

-Geo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6FYYWCrWBw

Style Builder User’s Guidehttp://help.sketchup.com/en/article/159965

Style Builder Reference Guidehttp://help.sketchup.com/en/article/159960

Oops! Was this question about sketchy (hand drawn) styles? No materials as in textures?

The question was about sketchy hand drawn textures or materials. Specifically how the ones that come with sketchup were created. Anyone know the answer? I know it was explained in a blog or discussion group years ago by the guy that created those hatches. His sketchy textures were included in the first bonus material pack, but now I can’t find that thread again.

Oops! You’re right … My Bad

I can’t recall that thread you mentioned.

But here is a simple example of a few strokes in a 200x200 pixels I just made.
If you apply this as texture you’ll see that black and red don’t repeat very well.
Blue is a bit better since it seems to end in the correct spot compared to the opposite image border.
You just need to adjust what you draw/paint in Paint (or similar program) to come to similar textures as included in the bonus material pack. Better learn now to be independent of what you can find, as a plus.

p.s. you can drag the image from here straight into your SketchUp’s modeling space.

1 Like

They’re nothing more than seamless tiled JPG images that one creates with an image editor, like Photoshop or even the humble Microsoft Paint.

Here’s the brick pattern “Sketchy_Brick_Multi.jpg” exported from SU
300 x 198 pixels

See:
Make a Tiling Image in Photoshop