SketchUp Viewer VR Oculus Issues

Here are the Help Center pages for clarification …

@Colin, the Classic Help Center article is also confusing. The title refers to a “Classic License” and then the first statement …

To use SketchUp Pro and all the extras that come with it (including LayOut and Style Builder), you need a SketchUp Pro software license.

Might we then conclude that “Classic” and “Subscription” are TYPES of licenses ?

Rhetorical: If there is to be no more SketchUp Make … would it not have been less confusing to relabel the desktop application simply as “SketchUp” as it was (pre-Google ownership) before the free edition came out ?

1 Like

The desktop application is just labelled SketchUp, but the download page, and the order page, and the license screen, all do still say SketchUp Pro.

The license window does indeed have headings of Classic and Subscription, so in that context they are types of licenses. In most help pages talking about Classic there is the phrase: “When you purchase a SketchUp Classic license”. To me, I read that as:

“(SketchUp Classic) license”

meaning, a license for SketchUp Classic. If you read it as:

“SketchUp (classic license)”

then yes, it would be the classic license alternative to a subscription, for a product called SketchUp.

“just labelled SketchUp” where ?

I see “SketchUp Pro” 2016 thru 2019, on:

• All my desktop icons (EDIT: Only says “SketchUp” always did!)
  • All the application caption bars
  • All the About dialog panels

The only place it has changed is the v2019 Welcome dialog.

One nice thing in Windows is that if you point at the icon in the task bar, it does tell you which which version it is. And I’m sure you’re right about the shortcut names too. Parallels isn’t working for me at the moment so I can’t see what I get in Windows 10. Here is how the folders and applications are named on Mac:

Oh my bad … the shortcut icons do not say “Pro”
(Had a brainfart … they never did now that I stop and think a bit about this.)

In the Start Menu …

… and on the desktop …

Yes, new licensing, that was anounced with version 2019 is highly confusing and misleading. Pro version became Classic. Although it is still called Pro in many places. And new Subscription was called Pro. Although both Classic and Pro have annual payment.

And even if you had Pro version for many years and paid annual fee - this does not matter, you are not entitled to a VR viewer. Comes only with subscription.

Something that was created by real evil mastermind of marleting :slight_smile: (pointless to discuss, this is just what it is now)

That one is for exporting model for Hololens. (another confusion)

I do not work for Trimble, I work for a company that is just a ‘Partner’ and distribute it in our region.
I bought version 5 a long time ago. I payed when there was an upgrade. Then Google pushes a free version, then Trimble came with a ‘Maintenance and Support’ plan, which was actually a subscription, I guess, you would pay one, two or three years ahead and always had the right to download and use ‘the latest and greatest’

That ‘M&S’ was actually marketed as a way for companies to have lower costs evenly spread throughout the years, instead of having high costs when faced with an Upgrade because of lack of support from OS or equipment etc.

That was the moment were my confusion started, btw.

Read if you want

I was just a one-man-operation that needed to communicate with larger companies that used AD etc. Initial startup costs of version 5 (about 250 dollars in my memory) were vaporised all along, anyway, so the 120 maintenance per year did not sound that bad at all, compared with the prices off the other software.

Then, I started to train other folks that wanted to use SketchUp and working with that Partner of SketchUp, learned more about the licensing system and actually started to read (some of) the EULA.

The thing that striked me most was that the user of the software never ‘owns the software’ itself but only the right to use it.

That reminded me of the middle ages, when the guilds or corporations of different disciplines determined whether you might practice carpentary or blacksmith etc.

So you can build the most beautiful things with your tools that you bought or crafted, if you weren’t licensed, you weren’t allowed to make a living out of it.

We got a lot of support questions like this:
‘I have downloaded the trial/educational/teacher version, should I reinstall when I buy the Pro version?

There are no different types of SketchUp Pro, I always say, there are just different ways to ‘Activate’ it.
If you bought the Student license, it will activate the same SketchUp Pro as the girl/guy who activates it with his Trimble ID which was assigned a SketchUp Pro plan. (Students get the most out of the deal, btw, they can use the Energy-and daylight visualisation, as well)

Old school ‘upgraders’ tend not to see the benefits of the 300 dollar/y Subscription, yet.
We see clients who hadn’ t payed the M&S for a while in two minds, but new clients, who never used it, do not seem to be hassled at all with the subscription model.

The marketing machine of Trimble (SketchUp) may have made some ‘tomatoe-tomatoe’ errors on the different plans & pricing pages (there was once a possibility to edit and create Dynamic Components for the web-based Shop version)
They could also have chosen to let go of the classic license and force everyone to the new subscription…(like some other software, or new startups that drug their potential user with free software, Digi base,TwinMotion )

I think Trimble is setting themselves up for consumer fraud liabilities by mismarketing their products.

As you mention, for classic license holders don’t see the point of subscriptions. The annual release cycles get longer and longer with few improvements. Trimble Connect is unusable for professional applications due to information security issues, web based modeling is pointless for pro users.

So what else does subscriptions offer? I cant imagine paying 220 more annually just for the capability to bounce my model into unrendered VR.

1 Like

I said thus above … SketchUp Viewer VR Oculus Issues - #24 by DanRathbun (post 24)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 183 days. New replies are no longer allowed.