Sketchup to Layout: My image is cropping

Thank you. Each part that would be made in the shop or the pieces of glass in the doors in my model or the hinges are components. There are copies of components where appropriate. For example the drawer sides, being identical but mirror images of each other are instances of the same components. The two bottom drawer fronts and the two outer upper drawer fronts are also instances of the same components. Then to make views like the exploded one of the case, those components are copied within the model space and moved away from each other to create that scene. I also used copies of the components for the 2D views of the case parts.

Good to know! Just to make sure I am hearing you correctly; you manually made the exploded view with the copies of components by spacing them apart like you have?
Also, you manually made the 2D parts diagram with copies of the components? Am I correct to assume; you made a scene of a top view where you laid out all the components that you wanted in once place.

Yes. There are a few old plugins out there that will make exploded views but in my experience they don’t make them correctly or at least the way I want them to look. It’s easy enough to select some components and move them, then select some other components and move them in another direction. It’s a balancing act between the desired camera position and the details you need to show.

Again, I manually laid out the parts for that view. It’s really quite simple with the Move tool. I could have laid the parts down to use the Top view but in this case I set the components up vertically and used the right side view and of course Parallel Projection to make the 2D appearance.

1 Like

Awesome, Thank you. I really appreciate your time. :raised_hands:

1 Like

You’re quite welcome.

By the way, the parts shown in the 2D view aren’t all used in the same viewport. That one scene is used in multiple viewports. Dragging the edges of the viewport allowed me to crop the view to show just one part. And in some cases, I split that part across two viewports divided with break lines since there’s no important detail in the middle of the part.

1 Like

Hello, Another question, how do I add multiple images to one page in Layout?

You can copy the first viewport on the page. Hold Option while dragging away a copy or use Copy and Paste. remember that pasting is pasting in place so if you do the copy and paste, just move the pasted viewport. You can also move entities in LayOut with the cursor keys. Hold Shift with the cursor keys to make move in larger steps.

1 Like

Great, Thank you! and you know how the first picture you sent me has a “Default Tray” on the right side of the screen, do you know where I find that?

That should be visible in LayOut if you select it in the Window menu. Mine is on the PC so it’ll look a bit different than on Mac.

Ok thanks, I am finding them.
When I selected my “scenes” in my SU model, the parts I wanted to focus on were the only visible objects in the field, but when I add them to Layout there are objects in the back ground and it looks messy, any pointers for getting cleaner views?

It would be easier to diagnose if you can share the LO file.

Cab 6 .layout (1.1 MB)

What I see in the viewport when I select the different scenes matches what I see in your model. Can you share a screen shot of what you are seeing between SketchUp and LayOut? Did you make changes to the SketchUp model after sending to LayOut?

Oh shoot, I did make some changes, I didn’t moved any of the objects but I did go in and tweak some dimensions. Musty have been enough to affect the look of all my scenes.

Sorry to ask such silly questions, I am such a rookie.

So if you want those changes to show in the LO viewports, you need to save the changes in SketchUp and then in LayOut, click the Update button in the SketchUp Model panel of right click on a viewport and choose Update Reference.

1 Like

No worries. Might be a good idea to spend some time going through the Sketchup and the LayOut training at learn.sketchup.com

That’s exactly what I need to do. Thank you!
I didn’t put any scenes in Layout until after I made and saved the changes. I didn’t go back and make new scenes.

It’s possible that you might want to make changes to scenes in SketchUp after you’ve started your LayOut project. That’s a normal thing. If you do change a scene, remember to update it. Right clicking on its scene tab and choosing Update is quick and easy. Then after you save the changes in Sketchup, update the reference in LayOut. This is part of the power of using LayOut for documents created from your SketchUp model instead of doing it in some page layout application like InDesign or in Word where you would have to export images from SketchUp to insert into the document. If you make changes to the model or the scenes, you’d have to export new images and replace the old ones in the document.

1 Like

So helpful!