Sketchup Template files Location

template
templates
sketchup

Is it possiible to change location of the template files in sketchup?

We have individual licenses at work for each machine. this had to be installed by our IT department because we are locked out of the program file folder. I have template folder set up on a network drive for both SKU and Layout and have directed each users file on their machine to look there, but i have not found any way to change the path from the root SKU location from the program file.
Is there a way to do this?

Moving to SketchUp > Feature Requests category, as I’ve also requested this numerous times, and politic for it in each yearly update cycle.

Currently, SketchUp, on Windows, (while loading) will:

(1) look into the %ProgramFiles% path, in the SketchUp sub-folder, “Resources/#{Sketchup::get_locale}” sub-folder, for a directory named “Templates”,

• … if this “Templates” folder is found, it will load the template list from the SKP files in this folder.
  • … and it will cease looking for any more templates.
  • Pros: Users have read permissions.
  • Cons: Users have no write permissions (unless SketchUp is “Run as administrator”.)

(2) If the %ProgramFiles% templates folder is renamed or not present, SketchUp will look into the user’s %AppData% path, in the SketchUp sub-folder, for a folder named “Resources/#{Sketchup::get_locale}/Templates

• … if this “Templates” folder is found, it will load the template list from the SKP files in this “user” folder.
  • Pros: Users have read and write permissions.
  • Cons: If SketchUp is ever updated to a newer maintenance release, or repaired (by re-running the installer,) the installer will re-create the missing folder, thus undoing the personal override folder.
  • So, IT must remember to delete the %ProgramFiles% templates folder, again after doing a maintenance update.

(3) If BOTH the %ProgramFiles% templates and %AppData% templates folders are renamed or not present, SketchUp will look into the workstation’s %ProgramData% path, in the SketchUp sub-folder, for a folder named “Resources/#{Sketchup::get_locale}/Templates

• … if this “Templates” folder is found, it will load the template list from the SKP files in this “All Users/Program” folder.
  • Pros: Central place on the workstation where IT can install templates, per SketchUp version.
  • Pros: Users have read permissions.
  • Cons: Users have no write permissions (unless SketchUp is “Run as administrator”.)
  • Cons: If SketchUp is ever updated to a newer maintenance release, or repaired (by re-running the installer,) the installer will re-create any missing %ProgramFiles% folder(s), thus undoing the personal override folder.
  • So, IT must remember to delete the %ProgramFiles% templates folder, again after doing a maintenance update.

All this is outside the norm for Windows applications. (1) should have been moved to the location of (3) long ago (when it was still called the “All Users” Profile.)

(1), ie the Users %AppData% path should always override (3), the %ProgramData% path, and / or any other Public path (be it local or network.)

Layout has the ability for multiple resource paths, and SketchUp needs them, and is long overdue for them.

Symbolic Links and Shortcuts

I had played around a bit using symbolic links, but gave up as far as plugins go, because normal users cannot run a script that creates them (using mklink.) It must be an administrator logged into an administrative account.

Creating a simple Windows shortcut (ie, .lnk file,) named “Templates” in the locale sub-folder of SketchUp’s %ProgramFiles%Resources” folder, will cause SketchUp to look where the shortcut points to.

• I created one that looks at the user’s %AppData% path, and it works.

• But what I prefer is a version independent templates folder beneath my user documents folder path.
  • It remains to be seen whether the SketchUp installer will overwrite a Shortcut .lnk file by re-creating a realTemplates” directory (during an update.)

• Redirecting the template list building to a non-existent path, can cause SketchUp to start with a new model not based upon a template, which has caused issues in the past.

Thanks for this reply, Great information I will pass along in my company. This is exactly what I’ve run into and was hoping for a solution that I haven’t tried.

From our side I understand our IT departments need to lock the user out from downloading programs that could cause problems for the company and it also what I am trying to do with SKU/Layout. Only authorized personnel have access to the template and company models on our system to make changes so we can make sure what on their works for every user and no one overwrites and screws up the working file we use every day, it has happened so many time in our standard Autocad files that it a mess.

We don’t have enough user to get a network license, so I am working with our IT department and they are writing a script that I hope will let me access it in the root folders so we can update it as we grow. The problem is we will have to add this to each users machine. and as you point out will need to be looked at and /or updated when we get new upgrades.

We have 1 drive for all out Sketchup and Layout files, Presently most of the folders are locked from the users to save back to for Layout and for the most part Sketchup. I have pointed all of their machines to that drive they can access flies from the drive, but are limited in where they can write to on this drive, that way we can control what is created and cut down on potential problems.

If someone from sketchup is listening this is something we small firms need access to so we can change this like the template files in Layout. for the next update can this be added to the model info>files area so we can control it and place it where we need too?

They do read these and periodically collect requests into some internal database.

I personally have made this request in past cycles. So it is already in the database with a number.

The problem is the change is not trivial. It is mixed into SketchUp’s locale language handling. (Hence the reason that templates are currently located down in the “Resources” folder hierarchy.)

There are internal strings (“name” and “description”) saved into the file header, that are language localized for templates. These are the strings that appear in the Template selection dialogs (Welcome panel or Preference dialog.)

A new scenario needs to be invented for this string handling. Either all translations (of these two strings) need to be saved within the file somewhere (AttributeDictionary?), or an external translation string file needs to be saved into the “Templates” folder, and all these strings changed over to English “key” strings for lookup into the string translation file(s). The latter I’d expect to share the same base filename as the skp template file.

I did suggest these things in the past when discussing these template issues and features.

FYI, the Mac editions still do not have a Files panel that brings the user folders feature up to parity. But this is a long standing “platform parity” request.

Regarding, a Trimble employee giving a “when some feature” answer, see the standard answer they always give:

Which was also the same when Google owned SketchUp, as it too is a publicly traded company.

All they are allowed to do publicly is acknowledge the request. From time to time some will add a like, or throw in their own 2 cents on a request. But that is it.

Thanks again,
I figured it not as easy to change it, but maybe they can look at look into it for future releases or offer a work around hopefully.

The only current workaround would be moving the “Templates” folder where you wish, and replacing it (where it was,) with a symbolic link or shortcut link to the moved folder.

What needs to happen is SketchUp needs to collect the template list from multiple locations, and not just one location.

Now the standard way for Windows is that a user’s custom template would replace any shared template of the same name in the list. It allows the user to tweak things.

But you describe a working scenario that is the opposite. I can see the benefits of this as well.

You also want the company’s templates to always be used, and only changed under strict control. Perhaps they could also be set as “Read Only”. But also as long as they are in a folder that the basic users have no write permissions to, they can not overwrite them.

The proper way would be for IT to create a new user “Group”, (let’s call it “SketchUpManagers” for example,) … and add you to the group, and give that group special permissions to the various shared resource folders, so you (or any other manager in the group,) can change and update files, add files, etc.

Do a search on Microsoft for “Group Policy Editor” … you’ll find info like this:
Group Policy management for IT pros - Windows - Microsoft

Thank you,

I’ll get this information to our IT Department.

I am not sure if this helps or not but I have sketchup Make on several computers in my home based business and I use Sketchup all the time and I moved all my resource folders to my Network drive including the templates folder and the first time I opened sketchup asfter I did that it came up with a blank screen and the axis. But I changed the default template to the one in my network drive and the next time sketchup ran it came back with my new default template. (I also removed the person standing there so I know it’;s my file on my network drive and not one that sketchup just created. I hope this helps you.

It’s good that you’ve got it to work that way. Many users have problems with putting resources on network drives, though.

I understand that and that is the problem I am trying to explain how to fix. All you really need to do is create a new template default file and place it in another directory or network drive. Once Sketchup finds the Defaulot file in another location that is where it will get it’s template from. Network drive or local drive doesn’t matter.

Do you understand sketch3d_de’s post, too?

Not at all. He didn’t post anything except quoting what I posted. What is to understand?

You say you are using SketchUp Make for your business. That violates the EULA you agreed to when you installed it. You need to be using SketchUp Pro.

… and Trent, your answer is not a solution to the original poster’s problem.

He is in a business situation, where the templates need to be read only, in a read only public location. Only the admins are allowed to change and write to this shared location (in his organization.)

The users can load templates from this location, but not save to this shared location.

I gave him the correct solution above.

Actually I am not in violation of the EULA. I use Sketchup to help me test out design concepts to see if my designs are actually build-able. Once I determine that the build is feasible I reconstruct the plan using a different program. The output of Sketchup is only used in testing concepts because it is fast.

You’re still using it in you business so you are violating the EULA for SketchUp Make.

So without SketchUp you would earn less or work longer (so earn less per hour). If that isn’t commercial use what is?
Probably a majority of Pro users are just like you - actual construction documents are made with other software, even if it is slowly changing with the capabilities offered by LayOut.

Anssi

Such a classic example of how people justify software theft.
I’m only using it to get my head around how to do it in the real software!
If it is part of your business workflow then it should be paid for.

I guess I will have to find something besides sketchup then since I cannot afford the price tag at the present time. It’s too bad because I did like the ease of use of this program.