Sketchup Template files Location

Hi Dan. I know this is a very old post, but I am trying to implement your windows shortcut(.ink) solution for Sketchup Pro 2023 to make sketchup show templates in a network folder. But it doesnt see that shorcut or the files in the that folder on the network. What am I doing wrong? Hope you could help.

The post is almost EIGHT YEARS old. SketchUp has changed greatly with regard to resource folders.

My post has the word “currently” which means it only applies to SketchUp 2016.

I.e., the point (2) is no longer true as written. Meaning that since SU2017 or 18, it will always look into the user’s
"%AppData%/SketchUp/SketchUp 20#{version}/SketchUp/Templates" folder and list any templates there.
This also means that the %ProgramFiles% folders should not be messed with or renamed, etc. !!!

Point (3) is also not likely correct anymore post SU2017.

Also, the Welcome window interface has been massively overhauled and redesign since SU2016.

Again, I wrote that nearly 8 years ago ! As said things changed, I think with the very next release.

So even if a shortcut file were to be used, do not mess with the %ProgramFiles%/Resources subdirectories!

If anything, a shortcut must be placed in the user "%AppData%/SketchUp/SketchUp 20#{version}/SketchUp/" folder.

However, SketchUp has historically had problems with network latency. It may be that SketchUp will internally ignore network paths for templates. I don’t know.

What I do know, is that I will withdraw the comments I made above since they no longer apply.

1 Like