SketchUp Pro perpetual 2020 vs 2021

Hello fellow pepertual SU pro license holders.

Last year I buckled up with an extra SketchUp Pro 2020 perpetual license. I can upgrade to a 2021 perpetual license it seems. But is there any need for it? (I like the old logo;)

What are the thoughts (pros and cons) of people who have used both the 2020 pro and the 2021 pro (perpetual) version?

When you upgrade and have been using the most recent version, it can be hard to remember what went before. However, one thing that I think changed in v.2021 was the way the Move-Copy function worked. Previously, you had to tap the control key for each iteration of a copy. In 2021, that was changed so that you only had to tap once. The howl-round was deafening though and so they changed it again. It now works the old way except that, if you tap twice, you can get multiple copies without further tapping (which I like even though many did not).

There were probably other things that I have now gotten used to but I can’t remember what they were. Probably no game changers (again!).

Oh, wait…Live Components?

1 Like

Sound like too much new things getting used to for me. I am getting too old to change my ways.

And I bet you’re only 26.

Going back in time sounds nice:)

No, you can’t.
You can only activate a bought classic (or perpetual) license when you also received the license info for 2021. It seems as if you have gotten that license info, wich basically means that it is upgraded already!
If you haven’t used that license info for version 2021, your bought 2020 is ‘Active’.
The minute you activate the 2021 license, that one becomes the active version and you will no longer be able to install and activate 2020 on another machine. (Once installed and activated version only can be used on machines where it was once activated)

Ofcourse, you can always do the trial of 2021 and see for yourself. (you need to sign in and have a Trimble ID)
One of the main benefits of version 2021 is that it introduced a new ‘versionless’ fileformat, that should be capable of reading future releases of SketchUp ( and is about half the size of older versions)

[quote=“MikeWayzovski, post:7, topic:178082”]

No, you can’t.
You can only activate a bought classic (or perpetual) license when you also received the license info for 2021. It seems as if you have gotten that license info, wich basically means that it is upgraded already!
If you haven’t used that license info for version 2021, your bought 2020 is ‘Active’.
The minute you activate the 2021 license, that one becomes the active version and you will no longer be able to install and activate 2020 on another machine. (Once installed and activated version only can be used on machines where it was once activated)

Ok, I bought the license back in October 2020, right before the perpetual option got abandoned, so that is why I got sent an (optional) activation email for the 2021 version that I have not made any use of so far. Thanks!