Sketchup Pro 2020 not saving, even though it looks like it is

The last 2 days I’m encountering a problem with saving my models.
I work on large, complex models. I press Control+S several times during my work day. The little wheel turns and everything looks tickety boo. Last save of the day, close SketchUp, close computer. BUT next day no record of the previous day’s work (and gnashing of teeth). Only the original file I opened at the start of the day. Same with backup file.

No “read only” file warnings when I opened - although I’ve been getting a lot of these recently.
I watch what happens in Windows’ File Explorer, and I can see that SU creates a .tmp file and then it disappears and doesn’t update the .skp or .skb files.
I could use “save as” and using a different name all the time, but for the size of the models filling up my hard drive. It would be better if I could get save to work rather than do a work around.

Anyone know what it might be, and what I can tweak to fix it?

TIA

To where are you saving the file?

Did you install SketchUp correctly by right clicking on the downloaded installer and choosing Run as administrator?

Hi DR,
I don’t remember having run as administrator for 2020 installation, but that was several months ago (I can barely remember last week :blush: )
Do you recommend re-installing? It’s been working fine to this point, but happy to give it a go.
N

I would suggest downloading the current version of the installer from sketchup.com/download/all and running it. Close SketchUp and LayOut if they are open and then find the download, right click on it, choose Run as administrator and if presented with the option, choose Repair.

Are you saving the file onto the internal drive in your computer?

Yes - Saving files onto my “This PC > Documents folder”, essentially.

Odd. Well after you fix the installation check it. Also check to see if using File>Save as… works.

Thanks! Reinstalling seems to have done the trick.
Interestingly, SU installer wouldn’t let me run the “fix” while my Kaspersky Anit-virus was on. I wonder if there’s some interaction happening between SU, Kaspersky and Windows? :thinking:
Anyway - thanks again for teaching me install “as administrator”.

Glad that sorted it.

This wouldn’t be the first time Kaspersky created problems for the installation/repair. Usually the advice is to disable Kaspersky or at least white list SketchUp in it.

Trimble and all its appendages are already listed as “trusted” . Think it may just be a little over zealous - which I guess is what you’d rather your anti-virus be :nerd_face:
Thanks again.

1 Like