SketchUp Pro 2020 - 3d mouse doesn't work anymore

3DConnexion updated their drivers on Feb 7

3DxWare 10.5.4
3DxWinCore 17.6.5.17089

https://www.3dconnexion.com/service/drivers.html

I don’t see any mention of SketchUp 2020 in the release notes. I just bought my second space mouse and a new CADD mouse.

How hard could it be to push an email or put a banner on their website?

Windows only. The Mac driver is still 10.6.4, released November 2019 and still does not know about SketchUp 2020.

HEY!!!

I have an old Space Navigator (2012?) and was sure it wasn’t going to work in anything recent. I found it while looking for something else and thought I’d give it a try. The original drivers worked for SU 7 and 8 but not for SU2013… so, I gave up on it years ago. However, in reading through these comments, copy/pasting the ancient .rb into the version plugin folders didn’t work in any new version. I’m using a win7 and the new 3Dconnexion driver announced it was not compatible… would I like to install anyway? I did.

Though warnings that the driver was for win 10, the install worked for win7 and it’s working fine with all versions of SU! What do you know about that?!?!!?

The old grandpa mouse works after all!.. AND smoothly in SU2020.

3 Likes

This worked for me as well on my non wired SpaceMouse hooked to a 2013 iMac, but not the older USB wired SpaceMouse. Not really sure why the difference but suspect it may be something to do with worn USB connections.

3Dconnexion released an update for Mac OS yesterday now 10.6.5 … but but it does not work with my spacenavigator using USB cable.

I installed the new driver and it did not work… had to go back to the 2019 version (manual install).

Interesting. It worked for me. I’ll have to try it for a while to see if there are issues - 10.6.4 had stability problems on my Mac and I had to stick with 10.6.3.

It was weird. I had the manually installed 2019 driver loaded in 2020, and it worked ok (odd zooming speeds every now and then). I installed the new driver (which claimed 2020 support) and it it stopped working all together. Uninstall, reinstall… still nothing. Ended up downloading the last update and installed it for 2019 and 2020 started working again…

Come on 3D Connexion get your ■■■■ together!!! I’m going over to their blog to rage.

1 Like

Following up: on my Mac 10.6.5 has the same stability problem as 10.6.4 and 10.6.3. After manipulating a model for a few moments, the view goes into unending rotate and zoom with no way to stop it. Unplugging the navigator doesn’t stop it. Closing the model crashes SketchUp! I’m going back to 10.6.1.

Edit: after an extended email consultation with 3dConnexion support, my SpaceNavigator is (at least for the moment) working correctly again with driver 10.6.5 on macOS Catalina, SketchUp 2020. It isn’t clear exactly what put it right, so I’m holding my breath and crossing my fingers…

Edit #2: After a brief period of working ok, the issue with runaway orbit and zoom returned. The first-level support person said he was elevating my case to the next level late in April, but I have not heard a word since. I reinstalled driver 10.6.1 about then, and the problem has no occurred again since, which I think proves the defect is not in my Space Navigator.

there’s a ßeta version (11.03.2020) of the SketchUp plugin for Windows available, shaking/trembling in perspective view should be fixed.

7zip format, use a capable archiver for unpacking the contained MSI installer.

My Space Mouse is 3200 miles away, but I tested the installer, and it does place the extension folder and file into the 2020 folder. Also into every other SketchUp version folder (at least back to 2014).

Solved mine running this and restarting.

Could you take a look and comment here… After reading your response on permissions.

Thank you…

Mac OS 10.15.4

3dX driver 10.6.5

A system report shows both CadMouse and Space Navigator exist in the USB report.

Space Navigator does not show up as a device

After Uninstalling/Reinstalling 3DX, with no firewall enabled, checking the library folder everything is in place. As a matter of fact, all versions of SU had the plugin folder structure copied correctly.

I can only see and use the Cad Mouse, not the Space Navigator.

I updated to 10.6.5, to see if 2020 was working ok. It wasn’t. I tested in 2019, and that worked. After trying many combinations I ended up in the System Preferences, 3Dconnexion, and under Tools I used the Install Plugins option. After that things were better.

Even then, it seems that the first version of SketchUp you open owns the Space Mouse (in my case). Quitting all versions and opening any one of them, lets that version work. Things feel correct in 2020, and no unusual increase in memory usage.

I did also hit another problem, connecting the Space Mouse via a dock would often not light up the LED. Using a dedicated Belkin USB-A to C adapter works consistently.

Well… Here is something. I deleted all previous SU versions (2013-2019) from the applications folder, deleted the instances of these from the Library plugins area thinking there could be conflicts. Uninstalled/reinstalled/rebooted with a fresh 10.6.5

Same issue. as a matter of fact the Navigator responds but acts like a mouse. Moves the cursor.

So I did the install plugins option… That brought back every instance of all the old versions I had deleted!

Not going well…

Following up: After an extended email consultation with 3dConnexion support, my SpaceNavigator is (at least for the moment) working correctly again with driver 10.6.5 on macOS Catalina, SketchUp 2020

Also noted here was that the Space Navigator was responding and moving the cursor like a mouse

Here are the steps that resolved this Mac issue:

“It sounds like it could be the Kernel Extension.”

(I did not find the kernel extension in the Extensions folder. I had also uninstalled the 3DX driver before this. Following the procedure anyway resolved issue)

I think step 8 was the key here which I didn’t know of before.

We should be able to delete it and reinstall the driver.
Please follow the steps below.
Delete Kernel Extension Steps

1.       In finder, open your Macintosh HD

2.       Open the library folder.

3.       Open extensions folder.

4.       Delete anything that says 3Dconnexion.

5.       Close finder window

Uninstall/Reinstall Steps

1.       Uninstall the current driver. Go to Finder >> Applications >> 3Dconnexion >> Uninstall.

2.       Reboot

3.       Install the driver. Make sure to Accept all the prompts.

4.       Reboot

5.       Click the Apple Icon

6.       System Preferences

7.       Security and Privacy

8.       Under the General tab, click "Allow" for  "3Dconnexion S.A.M." This should be below "Allow apps            downloaded from:"

9.       Reboot machine.

10.    Test

FYI Downloaded latest driver. Uninstalled 3dconnexion, reboot, install new driver, reboot. Seems to be working fine in both 2019 and 2020.

2 Likes

+1 to @Ccaponigro’s info here.
I can also confirm that my 3Dconnexion mouse would not work in v2020 until I…

1. Uninstalled the 3Dconnexion Driver (even the recent one from March’20).
  2. Restarted the computer.
  3. Installed that same new driver (seemed to take longer, which made me think it was doing important things).
  4. Restarted again.
  5. Fun process… but hey, it works now… so I got that goin for me.
1 Like